🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Hello fellow freelancers!!
Page options
sandy_vf
Community Member

Hello fellow freelancers!!

I just started on Upwork and my question has to do with writing proposals.  I know you write a cover letter but my question is:  do you put your personal information in i.e. email, address, etc. ??  I'm assuming Upwork notifies us of acceptances or correspondence with future employers, but I'm interested in writing some proposals for jobs right away.  I have tried to read the information provided by the upwork site, but I haven't run across this topic.  I also am unsure if I completely understand the "referral" concept yet.  If I don't have referrals, does this mean that I cannot apply for the job?  I will try to find this info on the upwork site, but in the meantime,  I appreciate any and all help I can get.  Thanks in advance!

Sandy VF

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP
5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Sandy V wrote:

I just started on Upwork and my question has to do with writing proposals.  I know you write a cover letter but my question is:  do you put your personal information in i.e. email, address, etc. ?? 

Personally I don't, no.

Sandy V wrote:

I also am unsure if I completely understand the "referral" concept yet.  If I don't have referrals, does this mean that I cannot apply for the job? 

What do you mean by "referral"?

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Darn, Sandy, the only skills you don't offer are horseback riding and frog dissecting! 

Kidding aside, the secret is: specialize. Chose a skill, or a skill-set, back it up by work examples in your portfolio, and take tests.

I guess you mean connects when you say referrals? You have to chose a plan (free or not) then you get connects and can apply to jobs. 

But do your homework first and work on your presentation!

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.  By the way, I do ride horses and I own a frog....NOT for dissection!!

Thanks again,

SandyVF

JoanneP
sandy_vf
Community Member

Thank you to everybody who answered my question!!

What a great group we have here - I can't wait to get started writing!!

Thanks again

Sandy VF

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths