🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Help! Client using test result on social medi...
Page options
seemabharambe
Community Member

Help! Client using test result on social media without hiring me,

HI
As I am new to upwork. I need help with one proposal .Yesterday I have submitted one proposal to one Client and in the job posting client didn't mention about the test and  while Interviewing she told me to do a test before hiring. as I completed the test and she said she liked my work and she will hire me but now she is saying she is having a delay to give me further Images. but she already posted a test image on her social media  without hiring me. what should I do now?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Seema,

Requesting for free work is a violation of our TOS. Our team will review the client and take proper actions.

I would also recommend to check out our recourses on this thread and learn more about how to protect yourself and Getting Started on Upwork. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Seema,

Requesting for free work is a violation of our TOS. Our team will review the client and take proper actions.

I would also recommend to check out our recourses on this thread and learn more about how to protect yourself and Getting Started on Upwork. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you for the reply Goran:)

petra_r
Community Member

Seema B wrote:
HI
As I am new to upwork. I need help with one proposal .Yesterday I have submitted one proposal to one Client and in the job posting client didn't mention about the test and  while Interviewing she told me to do a test before hiring. as I completed the test and she said she liked my work and she will hire me but now she is saying she is having a delay to give me further Images. but she already posted a test image on her social media  without hiring me. what should I do now?

Tell her you are very pleased that she likes the sample, and that you are happy for her to continue using it once it is paid for. 

If that does not work, explain that she does not own that image because she has not paid for it.  (Politely)

If that does not work, have it taken down.

You should also decline to do custom samples for clients, clients who ask for such samples often just want free work. It is also forbidden for a client to ask for a free custom sample.

Hey Thanks Petra! I have messaged her so.. This was my first ever experience so I was not aware about custome samples. 

opsogreen1
Community Member

Hi Seema,

I understand your concern. You have nothing to do in this situation BUT you should learn a lesson from the client/ project. I am assuming that it was a graphics design project(because you mentioned an image in your post). You never should do a test project in this category rather you could provide her your previous portfolio. 

Based on my own experience, the quality client will never offer you a FREE test project. They will always do the paid test project.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Thank you Imran! 

Yes this is a lesson. Now onwards I will keep this in mind.

Seema B wrote:

Thank you Imran! 

Yes this is a lesson. Now onwards I will keep this in mind.

Please also report this client, otherwise they'll just continue to find new freelancers and take advantage of them. 

I messaged the client as Petra suggested me about not to use Image without hiring. And she agreed to it and she is going to pay me for the test as well and sent me an offer. 

re: "I messaged the client as Petra suggested me about not to use Image without hiring. And she agreed to it and she is going to pay me for the test as well and sent me an offer."

!!!

Wow, Seema.

That's great news!

We so often hear about clients who are outright scammers and cheats. Maybe this client didn't understand how things work. Or maybe she was secretly trying to cheat you, and she repented (as a result of your guidance). Either way, I'm glad she sent you a hire offer and will pay you for your work.

Kudos to you for handling things so professionally and effectively.

I am glad too that it was not a scammer. 

Thank you Preston!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths