🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Help a new member out
Page options
alexbkk75
Community Member

Help a new member out

Hi guys,

So, I'm new here and trying to start my French-English freelancer journey. I just recently joined this site but I find it rather difficult to secure contracts.

I have applied to 6-7 jobs in entry levels, sent nice cover letters, answered specific questions to the best of my abilities, offered lower rates than what was offered and yet I still have no one contacting me.

I understand that competition is tough but I'm starting to wonder if there is any opportunity for me here.

My question is, how long or how many proposals did you have to apply for before you had any offers coming back to you?

Also, if you have any tips for a newbie like me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thnak you in advance,

Alex

14 REPLIES 14
colettelewis
Community Member

Alexandre F wrote:

Hi guys,

So, I'm new here and trying to start my French-English freelancer journey. I just recently joined this site but I find it rather difficult to secure contracts.

I have applied to 6-7 jobs in entry levels, sent nice cover letters, answered specific questions to the best of my abilities, offered lower rates than what was offered and yet I still have no one contacting me.

I understand that competition is tough but I'm starting to wonder if there is any opportunity for me here.

My question is, how long or how many proposals did you have to apply for before you had any offers coming back to you?

Also, if you have any tips for a newbie like me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thnak you in advance,

Alex

Alex, 

Your profile is fine, but you really must add a portfolio. If you haven't got one, then create one by asking people if you can translate their articles into French to use in your portfolio, or by translating passages from books that are out of copyright. Keep your English skills as fluent, but you also need to add native/bilingual for French. 

When you write your proposals, the first three lines are essential as this is what the client sees initially, so don't waste them with salutations etc. Cut to the chase and tell the client what you can do for him or her. 

It's not easy getting traction on Upwork, so establish a niche to begin with and then build up from there. 

Listen to Nichola -- She is at the top of her game as a French-English translator!

Thank you very much for your prompt answers!

Nichola, I will try and apply what you recommended me.

Although money is not my main focus, i'd like to be successful in this field for personal gains.

Thank you again!

Money should be your main focus, even if you are retired. If you are just playing at this, or looking for a hobby, then you should  think about other freelancers whose livelihoods depend on sites such as Upwork . If you have so much money and want to work as a translator then you should consider working for charitable NGO institutions for nothing. 

If you undercut genuine freelancers on Upwork, then you are harming everyone on this site, except yourself.  

I thought you were serious...

I think the way you see things is wrong. If you have enough money and incomes doesn't mean you have to stop there and work for free.

This is not a hobby but a way for me to develop new skills that will help me better myself for my overall career. Like everyone else, if I get to secure and complete a contract, I'll gladly take the money and spend or invest it.

This being said, I'll still take your advices to try and be successful on this site.

Alexandre F wrote:
I think the way you see things is wrong. If you have enough money and incomes doesn't mean you have to stop there and work for free.

This is not a hobby but a way for me to develop new skills that will help me better myself for my overall career. Like everyone else, if I get to secure and complete a contract, I'll gladly take the money and spend or invest it.

This being said, I'll still take your advices to try and be successful on this site.

Jeez! Take out that language that you have so much money that you don't need to work! You will not be taken seriously as a professional when you give the impression that you are looking for a hobby (there are better hobbies than translation on upwork). You must take yourself and the client's task seriously, or you will not get serious clients. 

Again, you seem hell bent on twisting what I say. Do I have enough money and income to live without working? Yes. Should I apologize for it? No, I have worked hard to get there. And I never said I was crazy rich or anything.

Now, I am still young and I don't plan on staying retired all my life. Coming to apply for translation jobs here is me finding a transition and improving my skills which will only be positive for the next steps of my career. Will it pan out, will I become successful? That is what I'm trying to find out and I am taking things seriously, hence asking for advices from experienced members such as yourself. I do not plan on telling my customers that I don't need their job offers, it wouldn't make sense. And I do need those, for experience and making extra money.

Translations and languages in general really interest me, that is why I am choosing this field

I don't think I am taking other people jobs or opportunities either. Otherwise, that means I'm not allowed to find jobs anymore except if my situation gets worse and I need to get back to work? That doesn't seem fair you telling me I should go work for NGOs and leave this site...

I have hobbies. My personal life is actually full enough. Like I said, I am taking Upwork as a serious and professional opportunity.

Now, I have taken your points into consideration. I plan on taking tests from Upwork, adding a French version in my resume and doing some translations and adding them in my portfolio.

Do you think this would help my chances?

Again, I am not here to be arrogant and take things lightly and find a hobby to pass time. I am genuinely asking for help to guide me to success here.

Thank you in any case for your precious advices so far.

Hi Alexandre,

As Martina says, please remove the phrase "to the point that I do not have to work anymore"

And as Nichola says, money matters, not to you, for what you say, but to the rest of freelancers.
So, please, do not low bid just to get a job you do not need. Others do need it.

If it's something you do without real need, just "to develop new skills that will help me better myself for my overall career" (which seems good to me), at least bid honestly, without lowering your price just to get a job.
Keep others in mind.

Hi Maria,

Thank you for your answer.

I do not plan to try and be more competitive than everyone else by offer the lowest rate. Now, let's say that a client offers 15$ for a job. As a newbie with no work experience on Upwork, should I bid for around 12$ for the fact that the client would take a "gamble" on me or just go for the 15$ offered? I just want to have a better understanding of what my approach should be. In my view, until I get some experience and credibility, it would be fair to charge slightly less than expected.

I'd really appreciate your opinion in the matter.

Thank you in advance.

Also, I appreciate the feedback and will remove that part as suggested.

Alexandre F wrote:
Hi Maria,

Thank you for your answer.

I do not plan to try and be more competitive than everyone else by offer the lowest rate. Now, let's say that a client offers 15$ for a job. As a newbie with no work experience on Upwork, should I bid for around 12$ for the fact that the client would take a "gamble" on me or just go for the 15$ offered? I just want to have a better understanding of what my approach should be. In my view, until I get some experience and credibility, it would be fair to charge slightly less than expected.

I'd really appreciate your opinion in the matter.

Thank you in advance.

The best way to learn is to research other freelancers in your field. 

As for your approach to jobs or bidding, this is entirely up to you how you want to market yourself, generally it's not a good idea to bid low just to get the first jobs, because you might get stuck at the low end which is not much money and not much fun, because cheap clients are often the most difficult clients. 

Make sure you underpromise and overperform and get excellent feedback always. 

Edit: don't start every sentence with an "I", and don't forget to add a portfolio. Forget the tests, they will be discontinued next week.

Thank you very much for the feedback, I will edit and polish my profile as you suggested. I appreciate you took the time to help.

Hopefully I'll get to connect with clients and get the jobs done right!

Alexandre,

I'm sorry I did not answer earlier.
Martina has done it anyway 🙂

Thank you Maria and also Martina for the tips and help, I am grateful!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths