🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Help please
Page options
parveennarula
Community Member

Help please

I am not having a good experience with my client, my client isn't changing the contract even though I have added on two more people to do the job as well and he agreed to pay all 3 of us 20 dollars each. I have even proposed an updated contract that he is not accepting and said he will change it on his own but hasn't. Also since some of the links wont work (not my fault) he says he might pay me less because I did less work, it was not my choice to do less work. Now my client is asking to submit the proof of work to an outside email, Is this allowed? Please help me

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Parveen, a lot of your post does not make sense.

If you are the freelancer, you can't "add two more people."

Clients hire freelancers. You can't just let other people work using your Upwork account. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

I will go into more specifics, this is a voice recording job to train AI, you had to read 2000 phrases per person and they need as many people as possible so after starting my job for 20 dollars and 5 in escrow he asked if I knew anyone else who could do this job, I got two friends on board, this would be 3 times the work as 3 people would all be doing 2000 phrases each. All payment would come from upwork to me and I am supposed to give my friends directly

Parveen:
Thank you for explaining your situation.

It sounds like what you doing is fine.

This is referred to as "sub-contrantacting," and Upwork DOES allow freelancers to do this with fixed-price contracts, as long as the client is notified.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Subcontracting-the-Right-Way-to-Do-It/td-p/503980

So the problem here is that the client is not funding money for the tasks that he claims that he wants.

YOU SHOULD NOT DO WORK that the client has not funded.

If the client has funded escrow for $20, then that means that is the ONLY WORK THAT THE CLIENT IS GOING to pay for.

You can not do more work, and then force the client to pay.

So if you have done $20 worth of work, then you SUBMIT that work to the client, using the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button.

And you STOP.

Stopping is VERY important.

When you have submitted work and need more payment, you send the client ONE message only, asking him to fund another escrow payment, or start a new contract with a new payment.

re: "after starting my job for 20 dollars and 5 in escrow"

You have seriously misunderstood this job.

There is no "20 dollar job" here.

This is a 5 dollar job.

The budget says 20 dollars, the escrow says 5, Also it’s a bit late because our voices are already on their website so the only thing I have to submit is the screenshots which show they are complete, I am pretty sure the company can still access my voice. I tried to get him to change the contract multiple times but he said he would do it himself instead of accepting my proposed contract

Parveen N wrote:
The budget says 20 dollars, the escrow says 5, Also it’s a bit late because our voices are already on their website so the only thing I have to submit is the screenshots which show they are complete, I am pretty sure the company can still access my voice. I tried to get him to change the contract multiple times but he said he would do it himself instead of accepting my proposed contract

If the client only put $5 in escrow then you are only getting paid $5. Never start working until ALL the money you agreed to is in escrow. You've been scammed. Stop working. Submit whatever you've done. Don't do any more work with this client. It's not likely you'll get a good review but with cheap clients that's pretty much what to expect: high demands for little pay and a  bad rating. 

Parveen:

You made a mistake. That is okay!

Many freelancers who are new to Upwork make a similar mistake.

The important thing for you to do is to learn from your mistake, and not make the same mistake again in the futue.

The best advice I could give you for now would be to accept however much money you have recevied for this contract. If it is only $5, then that is fine. Accept that, and move on. Trying to get paid more than that is only going to lead to frustration on your part. It is not worth your time.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths