🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Hesitant Freelancer
Page options
kristacagg
Community Member

Hesitant Freelancer

I am new to Upwork, and have been offered a Part Time Data Entry position with a client that had a job I responded to. They accepted my proposal. We had a Google Hangout interview. They made me an offer, but it seems....excessive. They are offering me $40/hr with benefits after 4 weeks. They will send me an e-check to purchase the equipment from their vendor needed for the position, and their timesheet to fill out as I work. I have questions. I checked the company on Indeed, Glassdoor, etc and they seem legit. However, I am hesitant as I thought everything was to go through Upwork...tracking time, getting paid...that Upwork was a freelance resource. I do NOT want to break Upwork terms, and have not accepted nor signed a contract. I have tried to find assistance from Upwork, but keep getting referred here. Could someone assist me?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lysis10
Community Member

Krista C wrote:

I am new to Upwork, and have been offered a Part Time Data Entry position with a client that had a job I responded to. They accepted my proposal. We had a Google Hangout interview. They made me an offer, but it seems....excessive. They are offering me $40/hr with benefits after 4 weeks. They will send me an e-check to purchase the equipment from their vendor needed for the position, and their timesheet to fill out as I work. I have questions. I checked the company on Indeed, Glassdoor, etc and they seem legit. However, I am hesitant as I thought everything was to go through Upwork...tracking time, getting paid...that Upwork was a freelance resource. I do NOT want to break Upwork terms, and have not accepted nor signed a contract. I have tried to find assistance from Upwork, but keep getting referred here. Could someone assist me?

You should be hesitant because it's a scam. You are their perfect demographic. Also, ToS says you have to keep communication on Upwork until a contract is made. Follow ToS and you won't get scammed 99% of the time. I say 99% cuz you can still get scammed (escrow pooyuck) but it's more unlikely.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
lysis10
Community Member

Krista C wrote:

You should be hesitant because it's a scam. You are their perfect demographic. Also, ToS says you have to keep communication on Upwork until a contract is made. Follow ToS and you won't get scammed 99% of the time. I say 99% cuz you can still get scammed (escrow pooyuck) but it's more unlikely.

Thank you! I feel very stupid now.

Hi Krista,

I'm sorry to hear you encountered this kind of activity on the platform. I checked and can see that both the job post and client you are referring to have already been actioned against as per our processes.

Please check out this help article for some advice on Staying Safe on Upwork.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Thank you!!!

72dade9f
Community Member

I am actually involved in the same scam... it was work from home proofreading... a company named 87 Lumber. Skype interview and contract. Nothing on upwork. Keep saying they are sending a check and bonus for the work and equipment. What do I do?

Hi Tammy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You were not hired for this job and shouldn't provide any work until your client sends you an offer and a contract is created under your My Jobs tab. Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, you may want to check this help article and this thread to help you stay safe on Upwork.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Krista C wrote:

Thank you! I feel very stupid now.

Check scam is pretty popular on here and on the internet at large. The bitcoin scammers are around too (buy bitcoin for me and I'll pay you on upwork).

I very much appreciate all of the replies!

72dade9f
Community Member

How would a check scam work if they say they are sending mo ey for equipment? Im just curious, i told him off so I am no longer naive about it. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths