🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Hi! :)
Page options
nbernardes
Community Member

Hi! :)

Hi, how's everybody?

My name is Nathalia and I'm new here at Upwork. I have some rather silly and somewhat obvious doubts, but I'll ask anyway.

I am not fluent in English and use Google Translate to communicate here, but I can easily read the texts. Do you think this is an obstacle for me to get the projects?

Another thing: I've been seeing that some people charge very cheaply for the hour of work, things like $ 5, but for me this would be impractical. Since I am Brazilian, $ 20 or $ 25 is an acceptable value, but I imagine that North Americans and Europeans should charge $ 50 for having a higher cost of living and a more valued national currency, right? Knowing this, could you let me know if the amount I am charging is too high or is it acceptable?

Last question: When I am going to make a company logo I do not do it in 1 week, but it usually takes 1 month because it involves competitor research, similar searches, tests, typographic choice, color palette, etc. When I do a magazine I have a similar time because I do the graphic design of it, search for images, tests of diagramming, research of examples, etc. Basically I love what I do and I try to do with the utmost care and attention, but here I sometimes find projects that ask for deliveries in a few days. Does this time delay and, consequently, the high cost, hamper me to get the projects in Upwork?

Regards,
Nathalia

11 REPLIES 11
essa_alroc
Community Member

First, your English is excellent. 

Next, I understand that others may charge very cheaply for the work they do -- but their work is cheap garbage. Use your portfolio to show why you deserve more. Do not try to compete for nickels and dimes. Let your work speak for itself.

Do not lower your proposals to meet the vast majority of idiots on here who think they should get something for nothing. Respect your work,. Take your time finding that first job.

You are worth so much more than you think you are.  

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Upwork, Nathalia!

I think your English is great, and using Google Translate to communicate should not be a problem. There are other tools in the internet that will help you communicate, so hopefully it makes it easy for you. 

I would suggest that you set your rate according to your skills, and experience, and base it on the costs you incur while freelancing, and all other expenses you cover with your earnings. You can also try to check other profiles in the same job category and use it as a benchmark. At the end of the day, it will be you who will be deciding what's the best rate for you.

It looks like you take time to work on projects to be able to deliver great results. I would like to think that everyone has their own way of working on a project, and you will have to decide whether you will like to work on projects that have quick turn-around, or long-term projects. 

Nathalia, since you are new here, I would recommend that you read up on the resources for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform,these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
mozewa
Community Member

Avery,

Sorry for interrupting here, could you please see my profile if whether it contains problems or language mistakes 🙂

I would be grateful for your help ^^

petra_r
Community Member

@Mohamed G wrote:

could you please see my profile if whether it contains problems or language mistakes 🙂

Seriously? You've already been told in no uncertain terms on your own thread...

mozewa
Community Member

Petra, all my portfolio stuff was old, so I picked the new one or what we called accepted, and I improved my profile, but seriously, I crushed my abilities when I wrote my profile in this way, so I want really to prove my language abilities with a sample ^^

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mohamed, 

I would recommend that you check your overview for grammatical errors, making sure that words are capitalized/not capitalized according to how you write/type them in a sentence. 

I'm not sure if you saw the link I posted above, but just the same, you may want to check the resources we have compiled to help you create a competitive profile that stands out from the rest of the freelancers in your job category. 

Hope this helps!

~ Avery
Upwork
mozewa
Community Member

But I solved the errors, and there are no problems in my overview now,

can you extract the errors ?!

petra_r
Community Member

@Mohamed G wrote:

But I solved the errors, and there are no problems in my overview now,

can you extract the errors ?!

You can't "solve" bad English. It would be easier to "extract" the correct parts that the errors, there are fewer of them.

Mohamed G, this is not an appropriate forum to request a critique on your profile. This thread belongs to another person. 

If you have concerns with your own profile, I suggest setting up your own thread and asking for advice. It is considered very poor form to request critiques for your own work on another person's thread. 

Best of luck to you

@Stephanie L wrote:

Mohamed G, this is not an appropriate forum to request a critique on your profile. This thread belongs to another person. 

If you have concerns with your own profile, I suggest setting up your own thread and asking for advice. It is considered very poor form to request critiques for your own work on another person's thread. 

Best of luck to you

Stephanie, many kudos to you for your statements.  Hopefully Mohamed wasn't aware of this rather than the possible alternatives.

purplepony
Community Member

Nathalia, per Upwork's TOS (Terms of Service) all Freelancers must have actual photographs of ourselves on our Profiles.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths