cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hired wrong freelancer?

lindsey m Member Since: Dec 4, 2016
1 of 4

I sent out various invitations and a "hire" upon approval of invitation to 1 freelancer. However, a second choice got back to me in a more timely manner and I went with them. I said the job was completed on the post.

Now, I think the job is thought to be completed by the "first choice" freelancer...I want to pay the right freelancer for their work..

How can I fix this???

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 4

Close the contract on the first freelancer. Thank her for the work she did already.

Hire the second freelancer, the one you really want to have do the work.

Hiring the wrong freelancer and then closing the contractor on them is an important part of being a successful client on Upwork.

Remember: Hourly contracts on Upwork are very much "at will" arrangements. Both the client and the freelancer can end the contract at any time, for any reason.

When you hire a freelancer, you do not owe that freelancer continued work.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 4

Remember that part of being a successful client is paying for work that you do not use.

It is normal to hire more than one freelancer to do the same work. Because sometimes the first hire, or the first few hires, do not do the work correctly. Or perhaps they do the work correctly, but you find a subsequent freelancer who can do it better. Do not settle for work that does not meet your needs.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 4

Hi Lindsey,

In addition to the advice Preston provided, make sure to communicate with the hired freelancer before you take action on your contract.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS