🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Hiring for the first time online
Page options
445f1af0
Community Member

Hiring for the first time online

Hello all respectful contributors,

I am a new client on Upwork and have just posted my first job for freelancers. Until now, I had only been hiring employees in our UK office for any type of work. This is the first time, I decided to outsource some work to test the water.

I am not very sure I understand how to interview someone online for virtual office work from a remote location. My job is for Wordpress site creation and blog promotions for referral traffic on our website. Please advise me what I should take care of to avoid pit-falls.

Thank you for your time and efforts,

Hiren

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Hirenkumar:

The best advice I can give is this:

Do not waste a lot of time doing interviews.

Hire more people than you need. Evaluate their work after an hour or two, and quickly close the contracts on everybody but the best.

Here is a great way to know you are wasting money: if you do not hire and fire people and discard their work because you can not use it, then you are probably wasting time and money. If you hire only one person then how do you know they are the best for your project? Who do you compare them to?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JoanneP

Hi Hiren,

Welcome to Upwork! Please check out this thread and refer to the client section to learn more. The information provided on the thread are desgined to help new users get started on Upwork. 

To begin an interview message thread about a proposal:   

1. Click the Jobs tab. Locate the job you want in your Open Jobs.
  2. Click the Send Message button to contact the freelancer.

Once you complete this process, the applicant is moved automatically to your Messaged section for further review. Your message thread will embed in the proposal view. From this point, you can continue communicating through Upwork Messages or exchange contact information and take the interview to another medium, such as email, chat, or telephone. Please check this help article as well. Feel free to let us know if you need any assistance. We're here to help.

~ Joanne
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Hirenkumar:

The best advice I can give is this:

Do not waste a lot of time doing interviews.

Hire more people than you need. Evaluate their work after an hour or two, and quickly close the contracts on everybody but the best.

Here is a great way to know you are wasting money: if you do not hire and fire people and discard their work because you can not use it, then you are probably wasting time and money. If you hire only one person then how do you know they are the best for your project? Who do you compare them to?

445f1af0
Community Member

Thank you Mr Preston and Miss Joanne. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths