🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Hiring multiple people without being transpar...
Page options
2afae153
Community Member

Hiring multiple people without being transparent?

Hello!

I recently made contact with a company that wanteda translator for a piece of text. They contacted me back and asked me to translate it within three days (deadline today). Today they write me saying that another freelancer translated it quicker, which is quite odd for me since I have spent three days now to translate the text and was about to sent it to them. The company did also not disclose that they had put multiple freelancers on the job. Is this a common occurence on upwork?

Thanks,

Kayleigh 

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Hiring multiple people without being transparent?"

There is nothing wrong with that.

As a client, I often hire multiple people to do the same task.

re: "Today they write me saying that another freelancer translated it quicker, which is quite odd for me since I have spent three days now to translate the text and was about to sent it to them."

There is nothing wrong with that.

As long as you were paid for all the work that you did, why does it matter to you if the client hired one person, two people or 50 people to do the same task?

re: "The company did also not disclose that they had put multiple freelancers on the job."

That's fine.

re: "Is this a common occurence on Upwork?"

I don't know.

It's common for me.

That's the thing though, I didn't get paid. If I did, it would not bother me as much. 

Kayleigh B wrote:

That's the thing though, I didn't get paid. If I did, it would not bother me as much. 

So you worked without getting hired? First rule of upwork, don't do that. 

Yes! I missunderstood the process. But ill make sure to next time. Thank you!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Kayleigh B wrote:

Hello!

I recently made contact with a company that wanteda translator for a piece of text. They contacted me back and asked me to translate it within three days (deadline today). Today they write me saying that another freelancer translated it quicker, which is quite odd for me since I have spent three days now to translate the text and was about to sent it to them. The company did also not disclose that they had put multiple freelancers on the job. Is this a common occurence on upwork?

Thanks,

Kayleigh 

Not very common, but good business practise to hire more than one translator and use the best one, maybe going forward with this person for more jobs. As long as you were hired, no problem here. What sticks out to me is that you don't offer translation as a service, so you probably should not accept jobs like that, since they will do nothing to build your profile and only confuse potential clients. 

I can totally understand that. I will make sure to change that. Thank you!

lucioric
Community Member

When you start working, ensure that you have a funded milestone (which you can press 'Submit work' to) or an hourly contract, to ensure that you are going to be paid. I think that, if your client was testing you, anyways he should pay you, because he didn't say you that you were on test, and anyways asking for free work, or accepting it, is against Upwork Terms of Service. Which seems tricky is that he aggreed with you in a deadline and then he came out saying you that he found a faster translator. But he should pay you. You worked although the work will be now of no use for him, but you didn't know that you were in a race. There are some platforms where there are contests to deliver some work fastest (but knowingly to everyone), but not here.

Lucio Ricardo M wrote:

When you start working, ensure that you have a funded milestone (which you can press 'Submit work' to) or an hourly contract, to ensure that you are going to be paid. I think that, if your client was testing you, anyways he should pay you, because he didn't say you that you were on test, and anyways asking for free work, or accepting it, is against Upwork Terms of Service. Which seems tricky is that he aggreed with you in a deadline and then he came out saying you that he found a faster translator. But he should pay you. You worked although the work will be now of no use for him, but you didn't know that you were in a race. There are some platforms where there are contests to deliver some work fastest (but knowingly to everyone), but not here.

Asking for free work is against TOS, accepting it is not.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths