🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Horrible business practice
Page options
5870e8b0
Community Member

Horrible business practice

New to upwork, and in the first week of being there I've noticed huge problems. Now 3 months into it, it's gotten even worse.
They don't care about newcomers, only for the top rated ones.

-No safety net for new users

-Connects are a horrible idea if you're not on plan you get 10 of them every month? Just 10? What are new users supposed to do with that? You take 20% of money from EVERY job new user has and you give them 10 connects in return? If you pay 15$ a month you get 80 connects.

-Clients are either unaware or don't care about freelancers, for example client could just reply to the freelancer and it doesn't cost them anything but few seconds of time, and freelancer gets free 10 connects, which gives them a chance to do more work if they're not hired by that client, but most jobs don't even get viewed by cliends.
Personal example I've applied for around 80 jobs in the last 90 days, I got hired 1 time, 2 other clients just replied to me, and the rest didn't even look at my proposal. So how exactly is a newcomer supposed to get any work? Any testimonials ? 

-Upwork doesn't care and doesn't match the jobs with new freelancers
-SO MANY SCAM JOBS, and same people posting them all the time
-Clients who just up and vanish. My first job, client did pay for all the work, but it's now 2 months since I've heard from him and I'm still stuck in this limbo without the testimonial or review. I can't move anywhere with 0 testimonials due to client just being absent.
-Many clients just want sketches for free, steal the work and give it to some other cheaper freelancer.
-Upwork literally has 0 idea how to manage this site, admins are clueless
-A ton of exploitation by clients, asking ridiculous amount of work for the lowest imaginable prices, modern day slavery.
-0 protection from exploitative jobs by UW.
-Upwork basically does nothing to ensure that new freelancers get any job opportunities. 

-Bidding war is another example of that. Boosted proposals doesn't mean the person is right for the job, just willing or desparate to spend most connects. I've seen proposal bids go over 20 connects, just to be in first 3 spots, and if you don't get reply from client you wasted 20 connects, if you get reply but don't get hired you get 10 back, so you're still at loss. And if you're paying 15$ a month, for no jobs, bidding for jobs that you never get, what's the point? 

-Upwork cares only about its own bottom line, like most other greedy business. 

-How such a huge platform doesn't realize such basic mistakes? If you're taking 20% off of every job, why are you making people pay for connects? And why give so few of them? Just give unlimited connects since you're already charging 20%, if you give me 10 free connects a month, but you take 200$ off of my job that maybe if I'm super lucky to get, you're not doing me any favors, you're literally robbing me. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa

Hi everyone,

We've been closely following this conversation and would like to thank the participants for their valuable input. A number of comments have been removed or edited because they were in violation of Community Guidelines. Since the arguments have been exhausted and the conversation is moving in an unproductive direction, we will be closing the thread.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
pudingstudio
Community Member

Ivan R wrote:

New to upwork, and in the first week of being there I've noticed huge problems. Now 3 months into it, it's gotten even worse.
They don't care about newcomers, only for the top rated ones.

-No safety net for new users

-Connects are a horrible idea if you're not on plan you get 10 of them every month? Just 10? What are new users supposed to do with that? You take 20% of money from EVERY job new user has and you give them 10 connects in return? If you pay 15$ a month you get 80 connects.

-Clients are either unaware or don't care about freelancers, for example client could just reply to the freelancer and it doesn't cost them anything but few seconds of time, and freelancer gets free 10 connects, which gives them a chance to do more work if they're not hired by that client, but most jobs don't even get viewed by cliends.
Personal example I've applied for around 80 jobs in the last 90 days, I got hired 1 time, 2 other clients just replied to me, and the rest didn't even look at my proposal. So how exactly is a newcomer supposed to get any work? Any testimonials ? 

-Upwork doesn't care and doesn't match the jobs with new freelancers
-SO MANY SCAM JOBS, and same people posting them all the time
-Clients who just up and vanish. My first job, client did pay for all the work, but it's now 2 months since I've heard from him and I'm still stuck in this limbo without the testimonial or review. I can't move anywhere with 0 testimonials due to client just being absent.
-Many clients just want sketches for free, steal the work and give it to some other cheaper freelancer.
-Upwork literally has 0 idea how to manage this site, admins are clueless
-A ton of exploitation by clients, asking ridiculous amount of work for the lowest imaginable prices, modern day slavery.
-0 protection from exploitative jobs by UW.
-Upwork basically does nothing to ensure that new freelancers get any job opportunities. 

-Bidding war is another example of that. Boosted proposals doesn't mean the person is right for the job, just willing or desparate to spend most connects. I've seen proposal bids go over 20 connects, just to be in first 3 spots, and if you don't get reply from client you wasted 20 connects, if you get reply but don't get hired you get 10 back, so you're still at loss. And if you're paying 15$ a month, for no jobs, bidding for jobs that you never get, what's the point? 

-Upwork cares only about its own bottom line, like most other greedy business. 

-How such a huge platform doesn't realize such basic mistakes? If you're taking 20% off of every job, why are you making people pay for connects? And why give so few of them? Just give unlimited connects since you're already charging 20%, if you give me 10 free connects a month, but you take 200$ off of my job that maybe if I'm super lucky to get, you're not doing me any favors, you're literally robbing me. 

Couple of opposing thoughts:

- Same safety net for new and old freelancers. When we use platform properly and apply common sense, we are fine.

- No idea why clients would/should care for freelancers they are not working with. Why would they need to care for each of 70+ proposals they get per job post?

- Free work is not even allowed. It happens all the time, benefits no one, yet new freelancers opt to do "free tests" in hope of.. dunno, something.

- We can choose with whom we will work. No client is our boss, no one can make us work with them. When we are being exploited, it's our own fault.

- UpWork gives same opportunities to established freelancers get jobs as the new ones. Sometimes, UpWork pushes new accounts, because they are new and need a push.

- Bidding is waste of connects. It IS optional, don't use it.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Upwork is completely free. You can create a profile for free, you can apply to jobs for free. You only pay a fee when you actually earn money, but it's not 20%, it is on a sliding scale of 20%-5%, which makes a material difference. Get hired by an enterprise client, and it's 10% from the start. Get invitations, no need for connects. 

The connects policy is revised regularly. There was a time when there were 60 free connects. There was a time when there were NO free connects. There was a time when you got 10 free connects if a client responded to your proposal. That has changed very recently, so your complaint about clients not responding to give you 10 connects is futile. 

I get the impression that you expect upwork to be totally free of charge. They are a large corporation listed on the stock exchange, how do you suggest they earn money?

Oh sweet Jesus, not another top rated pointing out how great UW is.. 

Yes, it's charging 20% to new freelancer, every job I apply for is 20%. So it's not slide scalling NOW, maybe when you become top rated, or work multiple times with the same client. BUT NOT for NEW FREELANCERS when they apply FIRST time for any job. 

"Get hired by enterprise client" yeah, sure, those just sit around and wait for complete newcomers, with 0 testimonials and 0 jobs done to hire them. Oh wait, they don't. 

"Get invitations, no need for connects"  tell me, how will a newcomer freelancer, who just joined the platform, with again, 0 testimonials, 0% work done, not even a rising talent, let alone top ranked get invitations? In what dreamland do you live in? 

I'm sorry to be rude, but you're completely oblivious and ignorant with these statements. 

Also, not ALL JOBS are created equal, maybe in your area it's easier for freelancers, that doesn't mean it's the same for my area of expertise. For example I'm talking particularly about Art and Illustration jobs. So unless you're familiar with how those work, and what clients expect, I'd ask you to refrain from commenting further. 
"I get the impression that you expect upwork to be totally free of charge." they're already charging new freelancers 20% with every single job, how is that expecting them to be free of charge?  

"how do you suggest they earn money?" they're already doing it from 20-5% charge they make for every job. Maybe from that? But no, let's make people pay for connects, let's make bidding wars. 
I honestly can't believe how you can sit there with straight face and just write something so wrong in defense of an obviously broken business practice model. Haven't you read hundreds if not thousands of complaints about this bidding war nonsense? 

If a large corporation has to make money by taking 20% off of newcomers they don't deserve to be on stock exchange due to this being a predatory practice. Maybe you can afford paying them 20% as a top rated artist, but not new freelancers who just start out on the platform. And it's funny how they have the same exact policy of giving huge discount to already sucessful people on the platform while exploiting those just starting, where have I seen that practice before, I wonder.. Oh yea, every goddamn corporation in the world that "needs to make money". And of course they get supported and defended by those who already benefit from this status quo, people like you. Keep helping them exploit newcomers and lining their pockets on the backs of new freelancers. 

elisa_b
Community Member

Do you realise that even the most successful or wealthy Upwork freelancer started their journey as a newbie, like everybody else?

Surely the platform has its flaws, but getting started is always the hardest part. Always.

P.S. Attacking other people on a personal level, instead of having a polite discussion or even disagreement, is not the way to go.

df602768
Community Member

You know what...

I am an experienced Illustrator with passion for creating original ideas and bringing them to life. If you dream it I will make it. [SERVICES] Digital illustrations and Digital painting Logo design [PROGRAMS] Clip Studio Paint Krita Photoshop I deliver work ready for print or digital use at your convenience.

...doesn't cut it. 

Also, an assumption, and pardon me if I'm mistaken BUT:

Being a veterinarian (having attended a proper medical school) might have affected your attitude that you're entitled to success. You're not. I'm not. Upwork might not be for you. Which is FINE. You're still a veterinarian and can open your own private practice.

Also, this post here is a huge turn-off for prospective clients who might actually like your designs.

Take some time off the platform to figure things out and then come back to re-apply for jobs. 

Sure, dude. You're not interested in our opinion, but you do make an effort to reply to each and every freelancer's comment. ðŸ˜€

By all means, do join other freelance platforms, PLEASE!

759e32fa

Hi everyone,

We've been closely following this conversation and would like to thank the participants for their valuable input. A number of comments have been removed or edited because they were in violation of Community Guidelines. Since the arguments have been exhausted and the conversation is moving in an unproductive direction, we will be closing the thread.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths