🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Hourly Contract
Page options
luciadlpuente
Community Member

Hourly Contract

Hi there,

I am still new here and I am trying to figure out how to end contracts.

My first contract was on a fixed price project and the client ended the contract after reviewing everything with no problems. 

I have two hourly contracts going on.I already finished and delivered one of them in a week and delivered it to the client. The client approved the work and agreed on ending the contract, we are both new to Upwork so we are just wondering who should end the contract and when. 

It was only one week of work, so it is still under "work in progress". Tomorrow-Monday the client will get the invoice and review my hours. 

-Should we wait until that to end the contract? Or should we wait until the funds are "available" to me? 

-Is it the client who has to end the contract? 

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

As far as getting paid... It DOES NOT MATTER when you end the contract.

Ending the contract doesn't have any effect on a freelancer getting paid for all of the time that she logged while working on that contract.

If the client has more work for you to do, then she should not end the contract yet.

If the client does NOT have any more work for you to do, then he should end the contract.

If a client disappears and you don't hear from him at all, then you can simply end the contract yourself.

If you have a contract that is STILL open after you THINK all the work has been done, then my recommendation is to send the client a short note, like this:

"Hank: Thank you for the opportunity to work on your project. The BZ-19 file is done. If you do not need anything else, then you can close the contract. If the contract is still open because you would like me to do something else, I have some ideas. I think we could create a new version of the file that would be specifically targeted for the other market."

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths