🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Hourly Contracts Expire?
Page options
barbpruz
Community Member

Hourly Contracts Expire?

Does an hourly contract expire? My client sent me a message that they received notification that the contract was going to expire. Do they need to take action? (both of us are rework newbies).

Note: contract is going fine but project is not complete yet.

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Does an hourly contract expire?"

Short answer:

No.

My guess about what this might be about:

If an hourly contract is set up with a credit card, then the credit card date may expire, and that means the payment method is no longer valid. Maybe that is what the message is referencing.

EDITED TO ADD:
I just saw Petra's note, and that's probably what the client saw: notification that a JOB POSTING is about to expire.

Which has nothing to do with you.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Barbara P wrote:

Does an hourly contract expire? My client sent me a message that they received notification that the contract was going to expire. Do they need to take action? (both of us are rework newbies).

His job post is expiring, the contract is not.

The client should have cancelled the job post to avoid people wasting their connects on a job post that has already hired you.

And this platform is called upwork. There is no "rework" as far as I know.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Does an hourly contract expire?"

Short answer:

No.

My guess about what this might be about:

If an hourly contract is set up with a credit card, then the credit card date may expire, and that means the payment method is no longer valid. Maybe that is what the message is referencing.

EDITED TO ADD:
I just saw Petra's note, and that's probably what the client saw: notification that a JOB POSTING is about to expire.

Which has nothing to do with you.

Also, if you have not worked on hourly contract for some time, Upwork will set it as "paused" which is no big deal.  To resume work, the client just needs to click a button.

Mary W wrote:

Also, if you have not worked on hourly contract for some time, Upwork will set it as "paused" which is no big deal.  To resume work, the client just needs to click a button.

No, they don't. They used to, but haven't for a couple of years or more.

Petra - thanks for the update.  I had one paused last year and didn't realize that it had changed.  Good to know.

Getting rid of auto-pausing of non-active contracts is a great improvement that Upwork made. I much prefer the current situation.

Mary W wrote:

Petra - thanks for the update.  I had one paused last year and didn't realize that it had changed.  Good to know.

By Upwork or by a client? (Clients can still pause contracts) And is paused, not put on hold?

Maybe I am losing all sense of time, I could have sworn that Upwork pausing hourly contracts for inactivity was stopped at least 2 years ago... But that was purely from how I remember it.

Petra - I have no sense of time, either.  I've had clients pause and I've had UW pause and I truly don't know when it was.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths