cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hourly contracts not closed

Highlighted
Fallon N Member Since: Mar 13, 2017
1 of 5

Hey ya'll! So I'm a few projects deep and my latest score is not a perfect 5 star, unfortunately (but over 4 stars). It's been extremey difficult getting design work on this site so far, but since this is all I've got for the time being I'm not trying to complain.

Seeing as how I know your job score is important, I realized I've got 3 open contracts that are finished, but the clients disappeated without closing or rating. I sent a nice email, asking if they were happy with my work if they wouldn't mind closing the contract and giving me a rating, since I'm new and it helps me get work.

I guess what I'm wondering is 2 things. The first is, does Upwork send a nice reminder to clients that we freelancers rely on their scores and that it's nice to close and rate for a job well done? (if not, they should!). The second thing is seeing as how I only have a few jobs done on this site, will these 3 opened jobs hurt my score? I really hope not, because the clients seemed happy and I've been constantly trying to go above and beyond so they are happy with their work.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 5

I encourage clients to close contracts when work is done on a project.

I DO NOT ask them to give me a rating.

Because it is impossible for them to close the contract without also leaving feedback ratings.

Highlighted
3 of 5

Preston, do you think that was a bit tacky on my part? I hate to come off that way. I guess I wanted to express to them that I'd be happy if they could let me know they were happy with my results. I don't think I'd care if it was just 1 open job, but it's 3 and I've been a bit worried about that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 5

@Fallon N wrote:

Preston, do you think that was a bit tacky on my part? I hate to come off that way. I guess I wanted to express to them that I'd be happy if they could let me know they were happy with my results. I don't think I'd care if it was just 1 open job, but it's 3 and I've been a bit worried about that.

What Preston meant is that whether one considers asking for feedback tacky or not, you can elegantly sidestep it completely by asking for the contract to be ended instead. That way you are guaranteed feedback without any tackiness.

The occasional contract without feedback does not hurt you. A significant percentage of them, however, does. Don't let contracts that have become stale stay in a coma for too long. Close them, one by one, oldest first, in between "good" jobs so you don't have a bunch of them together.

Highlighted
5 of 5

Petra, thanks for the clarification. Since one of my clients just messaged me, I asked her if she wouldn't mind ending the contract for now and starting a new one when she was ready for the next project (which I don't anticipate happening any time soon since she's still thinking about it). I mentioned it helps me find more work on Upwork, because I'd like her to know why I'm asking for it to be closed. Hopefully that will help!

Since I have such few jobs behind me, I thought maybe having 3 open was bad for my score. Not sure. Still haven't heard back from my past 2 clients that I nicely asked to close contract yet. What a bummer.