🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Hourly rate issue
Page options
govindlohia
Community Member

Hourly rate issue

Hi. On my profile I had mentioned a hourly rate of $8. But for a particular proposal i had proposed an hourly rate $30. The client was under the impression that my rate was $8/hr. Why did not the client see $30/hr rate?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Govind,

The client very likely saw both numbers and anchored their expectations of the hourly price you'd be willing to accept on the much lower number.

I suggest you put a higher price on your profile and then only make bids on jobs you find interesting at or below that price. On jobs you bid below that price, at least some clients will think they are getting a break compared to your "usual" pricing.

Of course, if your "higher number" is at the very high end for the type of jobs you are most interested in then you will get very few clients asking you to make a bid on their projects.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
rverang
Community Member

I'm sure the client saw your proposed 30/hr bid.

I'm pretty sure he also looked at your profile.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Govind,

The client very likely saw both numbers and anchored their expectations of the hourly price you'd be willing to accept on the much lower number.

I suggest you put a higher price on your profile and then only make bids on jobs you find interesting at or below that price. On jobs you bid below that price, at least some clients will think they are getting a break compared to your "usual" pricing.

Of course, if your "higher number" is at the very high end for the type of jobs you are most interested in then you will get very few clients asking you to make a bid on their projects.

Thanks Will. Very helpful of you

petra_r
Community Member

Why on EARTH would anyone have a profile rate of $ 8 and apply at an hourly rate of $ 30 or vice versa?

Clients are not stupid. They know how to look at profiles.

People who bid at rates different to their profile rate usually have a fake high rate and then "discount" to what they really want like a used car salesman. It's a cheap and unprofessional trick and some clients fall for it.

Having a profile rate a fraction of what you really want is just plain stupid.

holymell
Community Member

Agreed with Petra.

Why would you charge such a vastly different amount?

My rates may fluctuate by a few dollars depending on whether I'm doing a substantive edit, a proofread or ghostwriting, but never by almost three times my posted rate.

I hope you've learned something from this. That's just… an odd strategy that cannot be very fruitful for you.

Petra,

While you may be right but your language was absolutely inappropriate. The reason for such high pricing was that the client needed the assignment overnight.

We all are trying to understand how this works. And since, I am a newbie, I am not entirely sure how this works. 

I request you to refrain from using such low grade langauge for your fellow community members.

P:S: The same message goes to others who have liked Petra's comments and the language of such comments.

Yeah, but did you tell the client that in the proposal? You probably should have.

Look, without knowing it was a rush job, you don't come off too well here, so that's why you recieved the responses you did.

And if you failed to notify the client of the discrepancies in your rates, that also looks bad. Asking why your client could see your rate makes it seem like you would rather hide it from the client and no one here is going to be supportive of that. Sorry.

Quote: "I request you to refrain from using such low grade langauge for your fellow community members.

PSmiley Frustrated: The same message goes to others who have liked Petra's comments and the language of such comments."

Okay, Petra and Others -- You/we have been properly dressed down by Nanny. Try to moderate your language in deference to the newbies. They are not entirely sure how this works.

I guess I needed to check myself before I wrecked myself there, huh?

Nevertheless, I stand by my kudos. And I would do it again. So… 😙
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths