🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » 'Hours to be determined' jobs Proposals
Page options
tdodds74
Community Member

'Hours to be determined' jobs Proposals

I have a verbal acceptance of my first proposal.  However, it is an 'hours to be determined' job.   I submitted an hourly rate, but the client is asking me to rebid it with my estimated hours.   I can't see anywhere to do that.

Any help appreciated!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I have a verbal acceptance of my first proposal. However, it is an 'hours to be determined' job. I submitted an hourly rate, but the client is asking me to rebid it with my estimated hours. I can't see anywhere to do that. Any help appreciated!"

There is no button to click. You need to send the message and he needs to send you a hire offer.

Tell the client:

"John:

I would be happy to do this job using an hourly contract OR a fixed-price contract. I estimate that this task would take me 10 hours to do. My hourly rate is $10/hour. The total cost is thus estimated at $100. Of course, that is an estimate, and not a fixed cost. The amount might be more. It might be less.

Alternatively, I could do this for a fixed-price quote of $200. Note that a fixed-price contract is not associated with a number of hours worked, but is based on a specified deliverable. My fixed-price quotes are not necessarily associated with an estimated number of hours that a project would take."

====================

Or tell the client:

"At this time, I am only taking on jobs like this using hourly contracts. I estimate that this task would take me 10 hours to do. My hourly rate is $10/hour. The total cost is thus estimated at $100. Of course, that is an estimate, and not a fixed cost. The amount might be more. It might be less."

====================

Or tell the client:

"At this time, I am only taking on jobs like this using fixed-price contracts. I could do this for a fixed-price quote of $200. Note that a fixed-price contract is not associated with a number of hours worked, but is based on a specified deliverable."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I have a verbal acceptance of my first proposal. However, it is an 'hours to be determined' job. I submitted an hourly rate, but the client is asking me to rebid it with my estimated hours. I can't see anywhere to do that. Any help appreciated!"

There is no button to click. You need to send the message and he needs to send you a hire offer.

Tell the client:

"John:

I would be happy to do this job using an hourly contract OR a fixed-price contract. I estimate that this task would take me 10 hours to do. My hourly rate is $10/hour. The total cost is thus estimated at $100. Of course, that is an estimate, and not a fixed cost. The amount might be more. It might be less.

Alternatively, I could do this for a fixed-price quote of $200. Note that a fixed-price contract is not associated with a number of hours worked, but is based on a specified deliverable. My fixed-price quotes are not necessarily associated with an estimated number of hours that a project would take."

====================

Or tell the client:

"At this time, I am only taking on jobs like this using hourly contracts. I estimate that this task would take me 10 hours to do. My hourly rate is $10/hour. The total cost is thus estimated at $100. Of course, that is an estimate, and not a fixed cost. The amount might be more. It might be less."

====================

Or tell the client:

"At this time, I am only taking on jobs like this using fixed-price contracts. I could do this for a fixed-price quote of $200. Note that a fixed-price contract is not associated with a number of hours worked, but is based on a specified deliverable."

Thanks for the reply!

So it's in his court at this point ... he's agreed to the hourly rate but the job is sitting with a max of $2000 per week.   I'm thinking he's hesitant because of that and I don't want to talk him into accepting something and then having to pay $2000 in escrow.

re: "he's agreed to the hourly rate but the job is sitting with a max of $2000 per week. I'm thinking he's hesitant because of that and I don't want to talk him into accepting something and then having to pay $2000 in escrow."

Escrow is only a part of fixed-price contracts.

There is no escrow in hourly contracts.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths