cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How Can I Convince Upwork That I'm a Native English Speaker?

Highlighted
Genie P Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
1 of 2

Hello,

My name is Genie Polower, and I'm new to Upwork. I'm seeking work as a proofreader, editor or writer.  My profile clearly states that I'm a native English speaker. Yet, I have applied for several editorial positions, and I received a message IN RED from Upwork stating that I don't meet the criteria specified by the person doing the hiring because I'm NOT a native English speaker.  I've taken various writing and spelling tests which I aced. I have experience as a writer and an editor.

Is there anything you can suggest to me which will help the people who screen my job applications understand that I was born in Elizabeth, New Jersey, and that I AM a native English speaker?

Thanks.

Genie

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 2

Hi Genie,

Please, go to Find Work> Profile and hover your mouse over your language settings on the right side of your Profile. You'll see a pencil icon. Click that icon and change your English setting to Native or Bilingual. Once you do, you won't see the warning when you apply to jobs with the preference for native speakers of English.

~ Valeria
Untitled