🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How Does the "Revision" Function Behave on th...
Page options
231dcb27
Community Member

How Does the "Revision" Function Behave on the Client and Freelancer Sides?

Hello Upwork, 

I'm new to this platform but I'm not new to freelancing. Revisions are a big part of freelance work, so it's naturally also a common issue on platforms like Upwork. I would like to know exactly how the revisions function works for clients sending revisions and for freelancers receiving revisions on Upwork.

I haven't been able to find any detailed articles about how revisions function on Upwork by Google searching or by searching Upworks articles internally.

Could someone provide the article page where Upwork's revisions function is explained in detail for freelancers and clients?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Stephen,

Clients are given time to review the work submitted by the freelancer. If in case they'd like to request a few changes before releasing the funds for the milestone, they can select that option instead of approving, which releases the payment to the freelancer. Please know that requesting changes on the work submitted doesn't affect the freelancer's JSS. Selecting this option will only delay the release of payment and notify the freelancer that you have requested some changes on the work they submitted. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AndreaG

Hi Stephen,

You can check out this help article for more info on Fixed-Price Protection. When working on Fixed-Price contracts, you submit the work for the client to review. During the review period, clients can release payment or ask for changes. If the latter, the work returns to you and you'll be able to resubmit.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
231dcb27
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for your reply. To clarify my question a bit, by saying "revisions" I'm referring to the "Request Changes" function beside the "Approve & Pay" button on a submitted milestone.

I'm looking for guidance about how the "Request Changes" function works to answer a few questions I have, such as:

How would a client rescind or edit a "Request Changes" request?

Would an outstanding "Request Changes" request reflect negatively on a freelancer's success rating? How long would a freelancer have to respond to the request for changes?

Can freelancers reject "Requested Changes" or make formal counter proposals to clients through Upwork?

It would be handy to have a detailed article about this functionality on Upwork if there isn't one already. Thanks for your help!

Hi Stephen,

Clients are given time to review the work submitted by the freelancer. If in case they'd like to request a few changes before releasing the funds for the milestone, they can select that option instead of approving, which releases the payment to the freelancer. Please know that requesting changes on the work submitted doesn't affect the freelancer's JSS. Selecting this option will only delay the release of payment and notify the freelancer that you have requested some changes on the work they submitted. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Member

Stephen B wrote:

Hello Upwork, 

I'm new to this platform but I'm not new to freelancing. Revisions are a big part of freelance work, so it's naturally also a common issue on platforms like Upwork. I would like to know exactly how the revisions function works for clients sending revisions and for freelancers receiving revisions on Upwork.

I haven't been able to find any detailed articles about how revisions function on Upwork by Google searching or by searching Upworks articles internally.

Could someone provide the article page where Upwork's revisions function is explained in detail for freelancers and clients?

Stephen,

Upwork doen't really provide that information, nor insert themselves into what you and your clients agree on. You, as a freelancer, should state clearly what is included in your bids, especially in regards to revisions. If you don't, you may encounter clients who take advantage and try to squeeze as much work as possible on a fixed rate contract.

Something along these lines: "any revisions beyond the agreed-upon number in my bid may incur extra charges/milestones" and should discussed", blah, blah, blah. Personally, I don't mind small revisions that take minutes, but some can and do get out of hand. State your terms clearly up front, and make sure the client understands and is okay with what your bid includes.

When I do fixed-price contracts, I offer zero revisions. I am a professional doing highly technical work. The task is done when I say it is done.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths