🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Win job
Page options
mwaqassumra012
Community Member

How I win job?

Hello everyone.

I hope you all will be fine in a difficult time. I need your help to get to win the job. I create an Upwork profile at the start of 2020 and provide writing and proofreading service. Before this, I write 400+ articles for local writing agencies in the last 4 years so, I have much experience.

Still, I applied on 100+ jobs but only win 4 jobs in starting days. Kindly anyone guides me on what I should be doing best for winning the job.

I am trying every time to get knowledge on any platform but still no success.

I hope the Upwork community will help me and review my profile description.

Thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

Professional content writers should not have any grammatical errors on their profile. I noticed a few on yours - even within the first paragraph! 

My advice:

* Rewrite your profile so there are NO grammatical errors

* Customize every proposal to the job post and without grammatical errors

Keep trying. There are loads of clients looking for $5 an hour content writers. I wouldn't want to work with any of them, but they're out there...

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
robin_hyman
Community Member

Professional content writers should not have any grammatical errors on their profile. I noticed a few on yours - even within the first paragraph! 

My advice:

* Rewrite your profile so there are NO grammatical errors

* Customize every proposal to the job post and without grammatical errors

Keep trying. There are loads of clients looking for $5 an hour content writers. I wouldn't want to work with any of them, but they're out there...

Thank you

Hello
I'm santosh **Edited for Community Guidelines**, my concern is not able to win a single job I pend lot of connect so, can you help over this

Your sincerely
Santosh **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hii,
I'm New in upwork I am struggling like any for winning a single job

Hi Santosh,

I suggest checking out this Community thread to help you get started along with the Freelancing Resources board in which you'll find plenty of articles to help you with writing proposals, setting your rates, negotiating with clients, enhancing your profile, and so on.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

How can I win the job

I am biding form atlest one  year but i can not win any work please help me

Hi Arslan,

Welcome to Upwork!

Thanks for your message. I'm an Upwork Success Partner and an independent professional on Upwork for more than 6 years, and I'll be happy to share a few tips on how you can improve the marketability of your profile:

1. I noticed your profile isn't complete and I encourage you to have a 100% complete profile. Here are a few tips that might help you achieve this:

• Add additional skill tags. At this time you only have 4 skill tags and are allowed up to 15! Having the right skill tags might help you show up in relevant search results
  • Add portfolio items. In my opinion, this is the most important section of your profile and it is very difficult to get hired without showing samples of your work. Your portfolio gives you the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise.

2. Take the Upwork Readiness Test. Passing the test is required to be eligible for the Rising Talent program. If you need additional background before taking the test, read this help article.

3. A few additional tips that might help you extra polish your profile:

• Your profile overview is difficult to scan and quickly understand your background, experience, and the services you provide. Consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients.  You can arrange information to make it easier for clients to scan, for example, you could have your introduction paragraph and separate paragraphs for skills and experience. You can also use bullet points to help organize your lists. Expand on services you offer, what you’re most passionate about, and mention specialized software/ tools if appropriate. Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values. Here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview
  • Since you are new to Upwork, I suggest that you request and post testimonials from your previous work experience/clients to showcase your skills and abilities to attract attention to your profile.  It is a great way to vouch for your background and shows clients that you are reliable and experienced
  • Currently, you have one specialized profile. To ensure all of your expertise is captured using the features of specialized profiles, you might want to consider adding an additional specialized profile to showcase your skills. You can review a list of all of the options here to help you select the most relevant one. You can have up to two of these profiles which can help you show off different areas of work and market to specific types of clients.

I encourage you to visit the Upwork Events page for past and upcoming educational events. It might help you learn more about how to get started and be successful on Upwork.

Winning jobs is not just about your profile, you have to have great proposal cover letters as well. You might want to listen to the Proposals That Sell recorded webinar that might help you understand how to write custom-tailored proposals and grab the client's attention.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Tiffany F. | Upwork Success Partner

hi Tiffany,

My name is Sudhir, I am biding form atlest one  year but i can not win any work please help me to find my first job and i am also requesting you to review my profile and give me some tips that might help about how to write cover letter.

Thank you for sharing 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I don't want to sound harsh, but I tried to read your portfolio example, and I could not make any sense of it. I get that it is about some glasses or something when you work on a computer all day, but the words don't make sense. You can't write or proofread in English, and if a client ever has your work checked by an English native, your feedback will be brutal. 

If you want to find success on upwork, write in your native language and stay away from English. 

Thank you, Martina

You tried to point out my mistakes.

I trying most of the time even I am changing my portfolio every week but cannot get significant results.

Can you help me to make a strong portfolio of writing and proofreading?

Then maybe I will succeed to win job.

I am waiting for your kind response.

Thank you

Waqas S wrote:

Thank you, Martina

You tried to point out my mistakes.

I trying most of the time even I am changing my portfolio every week but cannot get significant results.

Can you help me to make a strong portfolio of writing and proofreading?

Then maybe I will succeed to win job.

I am waiting for your kind response.

Thank you

You could have a perfect profile, written or proofread by an English native (therefore not me), but what good would that do you if you can't deliver the same quality in your work? Any client would be very disappointed, maybe even feel that he was misled, resulting in bad feedback. Do you have any other skills you could market online?

There's no easy way to say this but writing may not be the best category for you, Waqas. Your profile sample looks as though it's been run through Google translate a few times. 

Jamie F wrote:

There's no easy way to say this but writing may not be the best category for you, Waqas. Your profile sample looks as though it's been run through Google translate a few times. 

Or run over by a Google street view truck. 

Thank you Jamie,

I know, my profile is poor but I want Upwork community help and guide me for making an effective profile. Because I love writing and I want to make it a profession.

I hope you help me.

Again Thank you

Yes, I have data entry, virtual assistant, social media marketing but I love writing. Therefore, I want the Upwork community to help me in this skill. How to make a perfect and effective profile of writing and proofreading?

Waqas S wrote:

Yes, I have data entry, virtual assistant, social media marketing but I love writing. Therefore, I want the Upwork community to help me in this skill. How to make a perfect and effective profile of writing and proofreading?

I love gaming, Waqas, but I would not look to make a living out of it because I simply just am not good enough. I have to make my money in other ways instead. 

We can't teach you to write, sorry. Even if we wrote your profile for you (which we won't) you will still need the skills to be able to satisfy your clients. We can't help you with that part. 

I know Jamie, but job winning is hard competition on Upwork even on other skills.

From your profile:

"I’m also editor of two International academic journals and one national newspaper."

I'm curious. Which national newspaper? Which international academic journals? 

I was member and also work for one year. I was published two academic papers.

You learn more speak english
mburu-paul
Community Member

Hello, I need help on how to win client Job,am interested in academic writing, paraphrasing and research project kindly help

Hi Paul,

I reviewed your profile and have a few suggestions:

• Create a focused title that describes your expertise and indicates the type of projects you’re looking for to help readers understand what you do. But keep it short! The ideal length for a title is 10 words or less.
  • In your overview, consider providing more examples of the specific types of clients you've worked with and work you've done. You talk about your skills and interest areas but don't mention the types of clients you've worked with.
  • You may want to review the formatting of your overview and add spaces or bullet points as needed to clean up how it looks.

Here are a couple of articles I think you might find helpful:

One other note: great job using the portfolio for a non-visual field!

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
p_sankhyan
Community Member

I have send many proposal but couldn't get any response from any client
.cam you please help me. I have done 1 year of created my account but still
could not get any response from client side

Hi Poonam,

I reviewed your profile and have a few suggestions that might improve your chances of winning projects:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skillsets and expertise.
  • Consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. Focus on how you can help prospective clients achieve their goals.
  • A good way to show clients that you’re experienced and reliable can be to include testimonials that vouch for your background and professionalism. This can include testimonials from a former boss, coworker, or client — but you can also use former professors, teachers, or classmates as references. However, any testimonials should be relevant to the type of projects you’re looking for. Especially as you don’t have work history on the site yet, illustrating your expertise through quotes from previous experiences can be a powerful tool.
  • There are some spelling and grammar errors on your profile. To help add extra polish, consider using a tool like Grammarly. This is the tool I use. It’s free and it works as a Chrome add-on, so it works in your Upwork proposals, profile edits, and Web-based email.

I also suggest you review these articles:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
akhalique_
Community Member

I have been trying to win my first job on upwork, but still waiting, Could someone recommend me in areas where I need to make improvement to increase my chances of being selected for the jobs I am applying. Thanks 

Hi Abdul,

Every beginning can be difficult and everyone, including new freelancers, are experiencing highs and lows, but you shouldn't lose hope. You may want to consider checking out this Community board as it has many great articles to help you boost your career on Upwork and this thread to help you get started.

You may check these great topics in our Resource Corner to help you create proposals that win jobs:

Successful freelancers have profiles that are complete, accurate, and paint a compelling picture of your services, skills, and accomplishments. Here are some help articles to help you build a 100% complete profile: 

Additionally, I would like to recommend to you to update your profile photo. Your profile photo should be a clear, headshot-style photo of you which is cropped from the top of your head, and just below your shoulders, and:

• you are not wearing sunglasses in the photo;
  • it is not a logo or clip-art;
  • it is not a group photo;
  • the photo was not digitally-altered

Please check this help article for more information on how to update your profile photo.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
498e6f08
Community Member

Hi, I'm New in this marketplace. I'm a professional Digital Marketer. To win a job, what should I do???

Hi Md Rifat,

Welcome to Upwork! Please check this post and the freelancer resource corner to help you get started on Upwork and also learn more about about building your profile and submitting winning proposals. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
d30ba08f
Community Member

thank you bro

sobujrabi
Community Member

thank you
3ab539c4
Community Member

Hi, I am trying to win the job but get no success except one please suggest to me some important points and also a time where the probability of project winning is high. thanks 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths