🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How can I find out if the job is legitimate
Page options
doneslynch
Community Member

How can I find out if the job is legitimate

Hi,

I have concern, I submitted proposal for a payroll accoutant job - it was posted as a fixed price contract. Afterwards client messaged me to email my resume. After I emailed the resume, I was instructed to fill out information and questionaire’s into a provided link - mostly typical job interview questions. Today, I got another email that they are offering me the job with details of pay in the email. I am confused because this is supposed to be a contracgt job but the “offer” states that I will be reporting to a supervisor. I am worried if this is legitimate work and why they are communicating outside Upwork. **edited for Community Guidelines**  I am obviously a newbie and I do feel like an idiot - I just noticed that this client does not have a verified payment method with Upwork and when I look back at the message, I noticed there was a note at the end of the clien’t message that “**edited for Community Guidelines** does not currently have acces to Upwork.

I have attached screenshots. This sounded like a scam to me. Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

Lynch

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

It's just a scam. Stop wasting you time with those people.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
pudingstudio
Community Member

Ma. Lynchie A D wrote:

Hi,

I have concern, I submitted proposal for a payroll accoutant job - it was posted as a fixed price contract. Afterwards client messaged me to email my resume. After I emailed the resume, I was instructed to fill out information and questionaire’s into a provided link - mostly typical job interview questions. Today, I got another email that they are offering me the job with details of pay in the email. I am confused because this is supposed to be a contracgt job but the “offer” states that I will be reporting to a supervisor. I am worried if this is legitimate work and why they are communicating outside Upwork. **edited for Community Guidelines**. I am obviously a newbie and I do feel like an idiot - I just noticed that this client does not have a verified payment method with Upwork and when I look back at the message, I noticed there was a note at the end of the clien’t message that “**edited for Community Guidelines** does not currently have acces to Upwork.

I have attached screenshots. This sounded like a scam to me. Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

Lynch

Something that starts with 'Congratulations' rarely isn't a scam.

While you can communicate with clients via mail, Skype or.. whatever; creating a contract IS via UpWork.

It's that simple.
If someone offers you not to be payed via UpWork, reject.

You don't have to be rude about it; you CAN use your communication skills to explain why you are disinclined to accept.

Thanks Antun!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lynch, 

I can confirm that actions were taken against the client's account for a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. Since you are new to Upwork, I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork. Hopefully this helps you identify red flags when applying, or interviewing for jobs on Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks Avery!

prestonhunter
Community Member

It's just a scam. Stop wasting you time with those people.

Thanks Preston!

Thanks for your question and screen shots.  I am a newbie too and cannot yet figure what is going on, much less what is acceptable or not.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths