🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How can I get my first client?
Page options
cathchan429
Community Member

How can I get my first client?

Hi,

I am new to being a freelance in Upwork. I have sent 10 proposals but still not any feedback. How you guy get your first job here? Or how do you choose a freelancer to work for you?

I just want to get my first experience first no matter what salary it is. Any suggestion for applying for a job? What kind of job would be accepted easier? 

Regards,
Cathryn

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
davidd1008
Community Member

Welcome to Upwork! 

As others have said- try not to get discouraged. You're new and sometimes it takes time. You're also a graphic designer and there are a LOT of those on here so you've got some competition. 

A few ideas:

A LOT of clients never even look at your propsals. They'll look over a few, find someone that stands out, and ignore the rest. Even if they DO read yours, do not expect to hear back from all of them. It would be nice if clients reached out to everyone and said "hey, we're going in a different direction but thanks for applying" but it's just not going to happen so don't expect it.

You SHOULD expect that you'll be turned down more often then you're accepted. That's just the way it is. It's a numbers game.

What is it you're best at? Logo design? Business cards? You've got a lot of things listed in your profile and that's good. Focus on those and look for those jobs. Don't just apply for anyone looking for graphic design. Do a few of those jobs to get familiar and then you can branch out to other areas. But start small and focused.

Write a good cover letter when you apply. This may take some time before you find one that works best for you. Keep them short and to the point. Avoid takling about a lot of personal things. Focus on why you want this job, what you can do, and why they should choose you. 

Remember, your connects run out so don't blow them all in the first couple of days. Look through job listings and focus on the ones that seem promising. Take some extra time to read the listing, make sure you understand it, and apply.

It's tough getting started, but just keep at it and eventually good things will happen. 

Good luck! 

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
patty_pretty
Community Member

Hey, Cathryn.

There is not a formula to get your first client, just try to improove your cover letter; and be patiente.

kamruzzaman502
Community Member

Write a good cover letter, and inform clinent what  you understand, write main point, not long.

kotterpike714
Community Member

Hey Cathryn,

First of all, don't be discouraged. You only sent 10 proposals. It takes time to attract clients. What I would do is go back to those 10 proposals and look them over.

Did you really sell yourself to the client?

Did you really express how you are qualified for job?

Do you have really good examples that match their project?

Also....You've only been a member for 7 hours.

Slow down.

Take your time.

It will happen.

Don't blow all your credits. (I'm learning that too so I'm telling to you pick and choose carefully and learn to make better proposals.)

Thanks for your good advice

I'll try to follow all these 

hope that helps

very helpful for new Upwork freelancer

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cathryn, welcome to Upwork!

Please review the information and valuable advice shared in the freelancer resources in order to start winning jobs on Upwork. Follow up in the Community afterwards if you have any questions.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
karlo-vugrek
Community Member

Actually this is not as easy as some people think that is. But you said that you have send 10 proposals. In my personal case, I was sending proposals for 6 months before getting first job. Some people are more lucky some are less. Just keep sending those and eventually you will get it.

SEM Expert

so how many proposals do you send out daily?

davidd1008
Community Member

Welcome to Upwork! 

As others have said- try not to get discouraged. You're new and sometimes it takes time. You're also a graphic designer and there are a LOT of those on here so you've got some competition. 

A few ideas:

A LOT of clients never even look at your propsals. They'll look over a few, find someone that stands out, and ignore the rest. Even if they DO read yours, do not expect to hear back from all of them. It would be nice if clients reached out to everyone and said "hey, we're going in a different direction but thanks for applying" but it's just not going to happen so don't expect it.

You SHOULD expect that you'll be turned down more often then you're accepted. That's just the way it is. It's a numbers game.

What is it you're best at? Logo design? Business cards? You've got a lot of things listed in your profile and that's good. Focus on those and look for those jobs. Don't just apply for anyone looking for graphic design. Do a few of those jobs to get familiar and then you can branch out to other areas. But start small and focused.

Write a good cover letter when you apply. This may take some time before you find one that works best for you. Keep them short and to the point. Avoid takling about a lot of personal things. Focus on why you want this job, what you can do, and why they should choose you. 

Remember, your connects run out so don't blow them all in the first couple of days. Look through job listings and focus on the ones that seem promising. Take some extra time to read the listing, make sure you understand it, and apply.

It's tough getting started, but just keep at it and eventually good things will happen. 

Good luck! 

Thank you Smiley Very Happy I was a kind of nervous to use the systems in Upwork. It is my first time to find the customer on the internet. Every time I send a proposal I have put a lot of effort to analyze the job and give my suggestions to the client. I get no one reply from it so I was a kind of discouraged by this. But I've found quite a lot of freelancer they are/were facing the same problem and I think I need to send more proposal to reach my first client. Thank you for your advice! 🙂 

Best wishes to you too!

Hello thank you for advice.

I'm new here can you check my profile is i'm in right direction or not.

Ans you said about to to go for all at once to save connects but if i don't apply they will hire someone else that thing come in my mind and i propose for all suitable work for me.

I am so glad to find this thread!  What I'm wondering about is how important the "rising talent" and "job success score", etc. are.  Pretty  much each proposal I've submitted have had those as requirements, which I obviously can't meet until I start getting some work.  I've been pretty choosy about sending proposals only to jobs that look like a great fit, but I worry they won't even look at me without having those check marks.  Am I wasting contacts?

tuoa
Community Member

Hi

I'm not new on upwork, but I haven't landed my first job yet, it's obvious I'm doing something wrong I just don't know what, people around me are starting to doubt that upwork works for real, can someone take a look at my profile and tell me what I'm doing wrong please? Brutal honesty will do, ok ok ok, just not too brutal but yah I need to change things.

Thanking you in advance.

yitwail
Community Member

@Johnny M wrote:

people around me are starting to doubt that upwork works for real, can someone take a look at my profile and tell me what I'm doing wrong please? Brutal honesty will do, ok ok ok, just not too brutal but yah I need to change things.

I'm not a graphic designer, so I'm not qualified to comment on your profile. But Upwork is for real -- it takes money to run a site this big, pay the moderators and the developers who are trying to improve the site, take out adverts, etc. and Upwork only makes money when freelancers get hired.

Johnny, I am new here, but here's my first impression of your profile.

First, get a different image- showing a graduation cap does not radiate professional status, it reminds people of a new graduate.  But yet your description leads me to believe it's been eight years? Second: this description: 

Good day I am a full time Graphic Designer, I started from a small company just after college 8 years ago. Main job duties was to design logos, flyers, posters, brochures, vehicle branding, books, business cards all the way to printing. as to this date I still work to help your business be seen as appealing and professional as possible. I was then introduced to upwork.com by google and here I am. hoping to help you however way I can.

I would rewrite it completely. The verb is plural for duties- it should be "duties were" and "all the way to printing" might better be phrased "in preparation for the printing process."  

After that sentence, to be honest the next paragraph is the exact opposite of what you say you can do. It is too chit-chatty and not written in a professional tone. Nor is it proof-read and a buyer would certainly have red flags raised when reading it.  You did not capitalize "As of this date..." or for "hoping to..."  

Also, the "I still work to help your business" is not a phrase that would be said.  

Last, do not put how you found Upwork, as the client doesn't care. That has nothing to do with your qualifications. Take out both of those last sentences. Wishing you the best, and hope things turn around for you. 🙂 

tuoa
Community Member

Hello Cathie

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through the profile, it means a lot to me,  I will make those changes and hopefully something good might come out of it, I think this community discussion is my first good experience on upwork.com

Thank you

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Good day I am a full time Graphic Designer, I started from a small company just after college 8 years ago.

Johnny, when a client first sees your profile or your proposal, they only see the first couple of lines.  A better opening might be "I have 8 years experience as a graphic designer". 

Hi,

As I am new to Upwork, can you please check my profile and let me know if any mistakes regarding the profile?

I'm trying to figure out how the proposed strategies work, no one accepts my proposals this happens from the last 15 days. How to get hired by the client if we have revalent skills regarding the job description?

That could be great if you reply regarding my profile and the client proposal technique.

Thank you

Regards

Hafeez

karimulla8
Community Member

Hi there,

As i was new to upwork, can you please check my profile and let me known if any mistakes regarding the bio?

I'm trying to figure out how how the proposal startagies work , no one accepts my proposals this happens from atlest 20days i think so. How to get hire by the client if we have revalent skills regarding the job discription ?

That could be great if you reply regarding my bio and the client proposal technique.

Thank you.!

Hi Karimulla,

Thanks for reaching out! I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ec63bdb3
Community Member

thanks LuiggiR, these articles helped me alot

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths