cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get my first client?

Nazia Rahman U Member Since: Sep 17, 2017
11 of 17

Hello thank you for advice.

I'm new here can you check my profile is i'm in right direction or not.

Ans you said about to to go for all at once to save connects but if i don't apply they will hire someone else that thing come in my mind and i propose for all suitable work for me.

Susan M Member Since: Apr 12, 2018
12 of 17

I am so glad to find this thread!  What I'm wondering about is how important the "rising talent" and "job success score", etc. are.  Pretty  much each proposal I've submitted have had those as requirements, which I obviously can't meet until I start getting some work.  I've been pretty choosy about sending proposals only to jobs that look like a great fit, but I worry they won't even look at me without having those check marks.  Am I wasting contacts?

Johnny M Member Since: Aug 6, 2017
13 of 17

Hi

I'm not new on upwork, but I haven't landed my first job yet, it's obvious I'm doing something wrong I just don't know what, people around me are starting to doubt that upwork works for real, can someone take a look at my profile and tell me what I'm doing wrong please? Brutal honesty will do, ok ok ok, just not too brutal but yah I need to change things.

Thanking you in advance.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
14 of 17

@Johnny M wrote:

people around me are starting to doubt that upwork works for real, can someone take a look at my profile and tell me what I'm doing wrong please? Brutal honesty will do, ok ok ok, just not too brutal but yah I need to change things.

I'm not a graphic designer, so I'm not qualified to comment on your profile. But Upwork is for real -- it takes money to run a site this big, pay the moderators and the developers who are trying to improve the site, take out adverts, etc. and Upwork only makes money when freelancers get hired.

15 of 17

Johnny, I am new here, but here's my first impression of your profile.

First, get a different image- showing a graduation cap does not radiate professional status, it reminds people of a new graduate.  But yet your description leads me to believe it's been eight years? Second: this description: 

Good day I am a full time Graphic Designer, I started from a small company just after college 8 years ago. Main job duties was to design logos, flyers, posters, brochures, vehicle branding, books, business cards all the way to printing. as to this date I still work to help your business be seen as appealing and professional as possible. I was then introduced to upwork.com by google and here I am. hoping to help you however way I can.

I would rewrite it completely. The verb is plural for duties- it should be "duties were" and "all the way to printing" might better be phrased "in preparation for the printing process."  

After that sentence, to be honest the next paragraph is the exact opposite of what you say you can do. It is too chit-chatty and not written in a professional tone. Nor is it proof-read and a buyer would certainly have red flags raised when reading it.  You did not capitalize "As of this date..." or for "hoping to..."  

Also, the "I still work to help your business" is not a phrase that would be said.  

Last, do not put how you found Upwork, as the client doesn't care. That has nothing to do with your qualifications. Take out both of those last sentences. Wishing you the best, and hope things turn around for you. Smiley Happy 

Johnny M Member Since: Aug 6, 2017
16 of 17

Hello Cathie

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through the profile, it means a lot to me,  I will make those changes and hopefully something good might come out of it, I think this community discussion is my first good experience on upwork.com

Thank you

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
17 of 17

Good day I am a full time Graphic Designer, I started from a small company just after college 8 years ago.

Johnny, when a client first sees your profile or your proposal, they only see the first couple of lines.  A better opening might be "I have 8 years experience as a graphic designer". 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS