cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get my name out there for work?

Amanda H Member Since: Dec 18, 2016
1 of 6

Hello, community! I am new to Upwork. I have requested work from two different postings so far. It seems there are many freelancers available for the jobs. As a beginner in my field, I worry that my applications will be overlooked because of the lack of prior experience working through Upwork. Does anyone ever run out of credits before being selected for a position?

Concerned,

Amanda H

Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
2 of 6

It's simple, "starting out" you have to find jobs that interest you and then you write an application / cover letter that is "better" (or at least more interesting) than the other applications (without knowing what they submiited).

Once you get a "reputattion", then clients may start "inviting" proposals from you. (Doesn't mean those jobs are any good; just that it's nice to feel "wanted").

Most newcomers think there is a job waiting "just for them"; they just have to "find it".

No; "everyone" is aware of "that" job; you have to impress the client more than the rest.

If you can't do that, once in a while, then you will never succeed here.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 6

Clients come here to hire professionals.  Remove every single reference to "amateur" and "student" from your profile.  Stress your strong points.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 6

I agee 100% with what Mary wrote. Your profile overview should emphasize your strengths, and what you can do for the client. You might also want to take a few more writing related tests, like basic english and vocabulary. And the first job is usually the hardest to get, so don't get discouraged if you're not hired right away.

5 of 6
Very helpful feedback, thank you!
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
6 of 6

Plus...

As someone in the editing field...

Have you researched how many other editors there are on Upwork?

Every single person who has taken a course in English believes they are an editor. As such, for a majority of editing projects, there tend to be 20 to 50 proposals.

I mention this as a point of awareness. You'll have to find a way to underscore how your expertise is not only different, but exactly the type of editing the client needs.

Best wishes!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS