🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How can I get work on this paltform
Page options
kihochetaki
Community Member

How can I get work on this paltform

I have prepared a genuine profile with a good portfolio.

What can I do more to get my first work on this platform?
14 REPLIES 14
prestonhunter
Community Member

Should I need to fix something on my profile?

Here's what stands out:

• Adding a name to your profile would be nice
  • Adding a real profile picture would also be nice
  • Try proofreading your profile description, since I spotted many errors
  • The above point also applies to your portfolio samples
  • (Optional) Raise your rates, since $3/hr attracts the worst clients and most good clients won't even consider you

done sir.

R M wrote:
done sir.

It doesn't look "done"

I don't know how bad it was before, but it's still not great now. You need a proper photograph as your profile picture.

Lose that nonsense of the "special promotional offer" - you really don't want to work with the kind of clients that would be attracted by something like that, and the kind of clients you do want to work with would be turned off by a writer peddling their skills like a used car salesman...

Your profile brands you as cheap. That is not a good look (and by "cheap" I don't even mean the price, in case that needs clarification)

I would suggest you take a look how other, successful freelancers in your niche structure their profiles and get inspiration.

Edited to add: Following Jamie's post I took a look at your portfolio items.

They are.... "problematic"

remove those "Hurry up!! Order now." Horribly unprofessional. Trim your description. No one will read that much. 2-3 paragraps max.

Sorry, sir.

Done.

I know that somebody has suggested that you raise your rates, which is usually fair advice, but your samples do no reflect what you are asking for. You need to improve them (the samples). They're full of mistakes and your diction and sentence structure is not at all good. I recruit writers at the lower end and, I have to say, your samples would prevent me from hiring you. 

Bear in mind that writers are usually expected to use samples that reflect the BEST of their work. If those samples are your best then it won't fill clients with much confidence. 

Question in regards to rates as related to this thread: 

I attempted to look at the OP's profile but it is set to private, so my question is more general in nature. I've noticed that many of my fellow freelancers from other countries where rates/salaries, in general, are low to begin with, have rates set in the general area as the OP. Five dollars seems to be quite common. For the US, that is crazy low, agreed. But if they're also looking for jobs in their own countries (India, Bangladesh, Pakistan) how do they rectify the disparity in rates when job searching on Upwork? No one is going to hire them in India for what I charge, which isn't all that much, yet, clients in the US will look at that and think just the opposite, which is that their work is only worth $5 so, no, thank you. Again, I can't see the OP's profile so I can't relate this to any errors he might have had, or other profile issues. I was just wondering, how they could comfortably walk that line between income disparity with jobs in their own country versus jobs here. Is it even worth it for us US freelancers to look in other countries for jobs?

Thanks, all of you, for your valuable opinions.

I've followed all of those suggestions and feedbacks.

Happy Upworking.

Susan, as a non-US freelancer, I just don't work for my coutry's clients. I don't see US freelancer find work in India for sure, unless it's something US specific. The benefit of using US freelancers in the US are legal bindings. You can't really sue someone from miles away.

So, I need help making my profile more attractive to clients. I saw that my profile was seen a lot, but I haven't yet manage to get a job I want.

I do have one client and we have a nice working relationship, but I currently work as a Quiz maker, while my profession is video producer and editor. Any input would be very helpful. 

Thank you so much! 

It might sound scary, but up your hourly rate to at least $40 and stop applying for the sort of jobs that are on your profile. Only apply for the jobs you want to do, that you know you can do, and that will enable you, financially, to run the business of being a freelancer. 

It does sound scary, but I will try. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths