cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I improve my profile? I'm getting ZERO responses, thinking about quitting..

Highlighted
Jonny P Member Since: Dec 19, 2016
1 of 6

I'm fairly new here trying to get started, however I've wasted almost all of my connects and I haven't got a simple response.

I've even tried just giving friendly advice and inquiries to people  but not even that helps to get a simple response.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I improve my chances, any advice is much apriciated.

Thank you

J

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

I have to give you credit for a great profile photo!

One thing most are going to point out is that you've wasted a lot of space with those first two lines in your overview.  Those are the two main lines the client will see with your proposal, so maximize that space. 

Don't waste space with Hi, because it's an overview of your skills, not an introduction to your life.  Showcase your skills and how they will benefit clients.  Also, the ending of your overview seems to have been cut off abruptly.  I do not know if this is a failed save, but it needs to be fixed.

Also, consider taking some of the tests available for the translation area.  Successful tests will put a check mark next to the applicable skills they are associated with.  That tells clients that you really do have those skills.

Other than that, focus on writing great proposals.  Proposals should all be job post specific and highlight what skills you possess that will provide the client with better service than anyone else out there.

I hope this helps and good luck!

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Jonny P Member Since: Dec 19, 2016
3 of 6

Thank you for your input! Much apriciated.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
4 of 6

You're very welcome.  Just remember, use your connects carefully.  Only bid on jobs you are truly interested in that fit your skills, that way you won't use them up quite so fast. Smiley Happy

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
5 of 6

You still need to lose the first sentence.  Still wasting space.

Also - can you really type 180 WPM?  Really??

The thing to remember is that clients come here to hire professionals.  Be sure to stress your skills and experience.  Don't sound needy.  This goes for everyone!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 6

@Mary W wrote:

You still need to lose the first sentence.  Still wasting space.

Also - can you really type 180 WPM?  Really??

The thing to remember is that clients come here to hire professionals.  Be sure to stress your skills and experience.  Don't sound needy.  This goes for everyone!

That does seem unlikely, according to Wikipedia.

Jonny, as a translation client, a few tips:

1) Like Mary said, ditch the "Thanks for taking time checking my profile". You don't need it and it's taking up valuable space.

2) As a general rule, freelancers find it easier to establish themselves by focusing on a specific skill, before branching out to jobs in other areas. You seem to be offering both translation and consulting, and also have "responsive web design" as a skill. I'd recommend you pick something to focus on and make sure that your profile is completely tailored around that skill, removing skills and tests that aren't relevant.

3) Your rate is very low for any of the skills you're offering. It's unlikely I would hire a Swedish freelancer at such a low rate even if they had an excellent profile. I'd wonder why their rate was so low - do they not have confidence in their skills?

4) Your profile is quite brief and I still don't really know what your skills are and what you can offer me as a client. I think you need to expand it a bit.

5) Also, seriously, I think your 180+WPM typing speed must be wrong (professional typists who do nothing BUT type are generally around 75-90WPM). If you really can type that fast you should get it certified and put the certificate on your profile. But you don't need to be a typing machine to do any of the things you're offering.