🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How can I prove experience? Would I be better...
Page options
robcortex
Community Member

How can I prove experience? Would I be better off if I just focused on fullstack web development?

I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

The world of white collar work is new to me, I'm mostly used to doing volunteer gigs and working temp jobs in between college semesters. I've tried looking to some articles for advice, but it's all kind of confusing, and some articles on things like writing resumes and whatnot seem to conflict.

Right now I'm trying to focus on becoming a Fullstack Web Developer because that is the career that I want. I know I can do it, and it's the only thing I've found in life that not only can pay well, but is engaging, and allows me to create visible proof of my capabilities in real-time. I believe that once I get at least three of my current projects done on GitHub, I can add them to my portfolio and would be comfortable with proceeding down that path on Upwork.

That said, I'd like to start earning a bit sooner.

My father suggested that I try tutoring English, or try data entry or some kind of writing, since I can type so fast and am tech savvy and have some experience writing web articles and essays.

My only concern is, it's been a few years since I've written any web articles, and although I have a TEFL/TESOL certification and am really good at speaking and writing, I have no idea how I can back this or sell this. I have a few web articles left over from years ago, but I'm not sure they would count with how old they are.

I mean I can write a few poems or write a web article for free over the weekend, or find some kind of volunteer thing online maybe? Maybe that would help, but I'm skeptical about that.

I do know that my profile needs work, though. I need a more professional, just as friendly but more full-figure headshot. It needs...Something else, too, but I can't put my finger on what, other than experience or a portfolio.

For those of you who struggled with an employment gap or been out of an industry for awhile or just started, how did you prove that you have what it takes?

Also, is being a Fullstack Web Developer the only way to be competitive on this platform?

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Justin:

If you don't know who you are as a freelancer... then you can not succeed here.

re: "is being a Fullstack Web Developer the only way to be competitive on this platform?"

No.

Alright, Fullstack Web Developer it is, then.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths