Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a newcomer break through?

Highlighted
Mik S Member Since: May 23, 2017
1 of 5

Hello Everybody!

I am new to UpWork and I am having some trouble getting job offers. I have written proposals for about 15 projects so far, and only one client has responded to me (I got the offer and completed that project). 

What can I do to better connect with potential clients? I am investing a lot of time in writing thoughtful cover letters, but not getting any responses. Is there something that I am not doing, or that I can do better? 

I think part of the problem may be that I have not yet established a job success rate. It seems that most clients request a rating over 90%. Is this a 'Catch 22' situation where I need work to get ratings, but need ratings to get work? Any tips on how a newcomer can break through? 

Mik

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Don't obsess about JSS.  No one had a JSS when they started.  It takes a while to get going.  You have a good profile and portfolio, although I would remove the part about looking for something to do over the summer as that makes you sound less than involved...

Be sure your proposals specifically address the client's needs and how your skills are what they need.  Remember that the client initally only sees the first two or three lines of your proposal so make that valuable real estate count.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 of 5

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! I eliminated the section of my profile about being on summer break and tried to spell out what I can do more clearly. I think my profile may be too long now, but I will continue to refine it....

The information about clients only being able to see the first two lines of the cover letter at first is very useful. I was beginning each cover letter with:

Hello

[text]

So I think all they were seeing is Hello Smiley Happy

Thanks again!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
4 of 5

Clients do not give a rip to hire you to "keep you busy during the summer."

Just state what you offer -- plainly and simply. 

I'd change that in your profile overview. 

Highlighted
5 of 5

Thank you. I took that part out.