🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How can i work without being a US Citizen
Page options
davechrst
Community Member

How can i work without being a US Citizen

Im an F1 Visa holder currently studying in Santa Monica College trying to build my portfolio while studying, how can i apply as a non US Citizen ?

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork does not determine any individual's legal eligibility to work. You would ascertain your eligibility by consulting with local authorities and experts.

Upwork simply asks that all individuals comply with local laws and regulations as they apply to them.

If you are eligible to do freelancing work in your current situation, then you would submit registration information and go through the same process that anybody else would go through. Upwork does NOT have special or separate registration processes that are different for people living outside the country of which they are citizens versus those who are applying while living inside the country of their citizenship.

On a separate subject: if your primary interest is building your portfolio, you do not need anybody's permission to do that. You don't need an Upwork freelancer account to do that.

If you work on your portfolio on your own, by creating great portfolio pieces with "yourself" as the client, then you may put those portfolio pieces into your Upwork portfolio. Your portfolio pieces do NOT need to come from Upwork contracts or paid work.

petra_r
Community Member

Dave C wrote:

Im an F1 Visa holder currently studying in Santa Monica College trying to build my portfolio while studying, how can i apply as a non US Citizen ?

You want to speak to your college's advisor for foreign students and your immigration contact to ascertain whether, and to what extent, you are permitted to work.

It is my understanding that you are not allowed to freelance (at all) during your first year, and that you can seek permission afterwards, and freelance (if permission is granted) part time in the field of your studies only. You need the requisite paperwork either way so don't do anything at all (including creating a profile here...) until you have checked it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths