🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How can see what kind of business the emp...
Page options
tonia-vernet
Community Member

How can see what kind of business the employer is?

Hi,

Hopefully this isn't a silly question but I don't see how you identify what kind of business the employer is. In some cases they let you know in the job discription or you can figure it out by reading the reviews, but it seems like that information should be in the rather short and non discript "about the company" section. 

I realize that I can use filters but just wondered if I was missing the obvious.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Nichola,

Thanks for the advise... the search process would certainly be easier if I could quickly determine if it's a product or service that I feel good about.... but, oh well. 

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
colettelewis
Community Member

You can't see this and you are not missing the obvious. You can only judge by the job post and the client's feedback if he or she already has hired on Upwork. 

My advice is to only bid on jobs where the client has been clear initially on what he or she expects from the freelancer and if the job relates to your skills and level of expertise. 

Hi Nichola,

Thanks for the advise... the search process would certainly be easier if I could quickly determine if it's a product or service that I feel good about.... but, oh well. 

Thanks again.

I understand what the original poster is concerned about. And I am NOT calling her out or anything.

BUT, despite the word she used to label this thread, we are submitting proposals to CLIENTS, not "employers."

As a freelancer I am providing a service to a customer. I am not making a decision about what company to go work for.

And I am providing  a specific service. That is what I focus on.

So instead of it being like this:

"This person walked into my restaurant and wants to order lunch. But I wonder if she belongs to PETA, because those people are really offensive. I would not want to sell lunch to someone like that."

We can be more like this:

"This person walked into my restaurant. If she wants me to dry clean her clothes or fix her computer, I can't do that. But if she wants to order lunch, we will be happy to serve her."

Clients are customers. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG with not wanting to work for companies based on what they do. Even as a freelancer.

But that kind of information is not provided by Upwork and for most of us that is not a big factor in deciding what clients (who are customers, not employers) we choose to work for.

Hi Preston,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. Someone else also let me know that information wasn't available. I'll just have to adapt. 

Thanks again

Tonia: Welcome to the Community Forum.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths