🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How critical is close proximity to one's free...
Page options
f2ad26fe
Community Member

How critical is close proximity to one's freelancer:

I want to hire someone to assist me in making videos.  

This may entail connecting recording devices to my desktop, selecting and fabricating a background, fine-tuning lighting, and other things requiring hands-on, physical work.

Accordingly, I think I need someone who, perhaps, can make a house call to my abode in New York City to assist me with these tasks.  

However, people have told me that I should accept people from all over the world.  I am not chauvinistic or hostile to foreignors.  I just don't think someone whom I might hire from Bangladesh would be willing to fly to New York City to show me how to do something.  

MY QUESTION:  1) Is my desire to hire someone nearby unreasonable.

2)  Would it be especially difficult to limit my freelancers to the States of New York, or New York, New Jersey and Connecticutt

I appreciate your ideas  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is my desire to hire someone nearby unreasonable."

No. It is not unreasonable.

re: "Would it be especially difficult to limit my freelancers to the States of New York, or New York, New Jersey and Connecticutt"

No. You could easily do that.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mtngigi
Community Member

David G wrote:

I want to hire someone to assist me in making videos.  

This may entail connecting recording devices to my desktop, selecting and fabricating a background, fine-tuning lighting, and other things requiring hands-on, physical work.

Accordingly, I think I need someone who, perhaps, can make a house call to my abode in New York City to assist me with these tasks.  

However, people have told me that I should accept people from all over the world.  I am not chauvinistic or hostile to foreignors.  I just don't think someone whom I might hire from Bangladesh would be willing to fly to New York City to show me how to do something.  

MY QUESTION:  1) Is my desire to hire someone nearby unreasonable.

2)  Would it be especially difficult to limit my freelancers to the States of New York, or New York, New Jersey and Connecticutt

I appreciate your ideas  

1) It's most certainly not unreasonable - there are many posts where clients specify their desire to work with someone local/onsite. As long as the contract and all payments remain on Upwork, this is not a problem.

2) All you can do is post your job with those specifications and see what happens. Conversely, you can do a search for freelancers with that skill set and in your specified area and do an "invite only" to those particular freelancers.

Good luck.

ETA: I'm not sure why people told you you should accept applicants from all over the world. You need to do whatever works best for your situation. There is nothing wrong with requesting local talent. I believe the chances of anyone wanting to fly thousands of miles for a freelance job are slim to none.

kbadeau
Community Member

I live near Phoenix but not close enough to even APPLY for a (local) job that I saw posted there. (seems weird that it showed up in my feed)

I'm not a client so I don't know which button you push, but there's definitely an option to make a job listing local instead of global.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is my desire to hire someone nearby unreasonable."

No. It is not unreasonable.

re: "Would it be especially difficult to limit my freelancers to the States of New York, or New York, New Jersey and Connecticutt"

No. You could easily do that.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths