🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How did you get your first client here?
Page options
nw_work
Community Member

How did you get your first client here?

So I have been here for around 1-2yrs and started out with 30 connects and basically spent almost all of it but unfortunately for me the client's didn't select me. Thus connects gone to waste and now I have 6 connects left! So it feel's like a pay to play game if I am to get some client's here. Thus I am currently saving up and thinking how am I going to suceed in getting client's once I buy more connects. Is there a secret I am missing out on?

Best Regards,

NW

4 REPLIES 4
aditipie
Community Member

Nuwantha, I am sorry to hear that. But 30 connects over 2 years means you've applied for ~15 jobs or so. It usually takes more applications to get the first job. So I'd request you to be patient and apply more. 

A couple things that had helped me when I started 5 years ago- Rather than 'I can do any job that comes my way' approach, I applied strategically ensuring that my expertise was needed for the job. Identifying such jobs takes some practice. In that sense, your 30 connects were well-spent. 

You can see an employer's history to observe a pattern in people they hire (eg. some hire in certain geographical areas, or a certain price point etc.). Don't apply if you don't fit their pattern. If there is no pattern observable, then it is safe to apply as you've a chance to succeed.   

Lastly, attending Upwork webinars helps. They have recordings available. I studied them carefully and even after 5 years of experience on this platform, I try to attend a seminar or two each year as a refresher. 

Hope this helps. Good luck. It will be okay.  

nw_work
Community Member

Thank you Aditi for the detailed response, I shall definitely look into the upwork webinars which I have not yet attended a single one. Also good idea on observing the employers hiring patterns but If I remember correctly we are unable to visit the employer profile right?

Best Regards,

NW

alexis-arinze
Community Member

Nuwantha W wrote:

So I have been here for around 1-2yrs and started out with 30 connects and basically spent almost all of it but unfortunately for me the client's didn't select me. Thus connects gone to waste and now I have 6 connects left! So it feel's like a pay to play game if I am to get some client's here. Thus I am currently saving up and thinking how am I going to suceed in getting client's once I buy more connects. Is there a secret I am missing out on?

Best Regards,

NW

My first client, oddly enough, happened because they invited me to interview. My profile wasn't even fully set up and was kind of a mess. I accepted the invitation and was hired right away. It really doesn't happen like that at all though. Moreover, there really isn't any big secret to how to make it on here. Just takes patience and a willingness to perservere. 

Oh that is nice I have also got Invited and Interviewed like you recently as well but unfortunately the client's proposed budget for the task is not enough thus they let me know will get back to me. I think in here we need to be proactive all the time to find the client's?

Best Regards,

NW

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths