🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How do I Contact Clients?
Page options
javiercampo
Community Member

How do I Contact Clients?

Hi everyone,

I want to know how I can message any client?  Because, when I click on the "Messages" icon in the Upwork app, it only displays "No messages yet".  Next, I can't do it on my desktop computer through Upwork's website as well.  So, does that mean I would have to get a reply from the client first about any proposals I plan to submit before I can ask her or him about any details? I am confused. For example, I want to contact a client about what they require from the job in detail before I submit any proposal (s).  In other words, I have not submitted any proposals yet.  Also, does the number of proposals shown in the client's description (in this case 10-15) mean the #  he or she requires? or is that something else?  Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Javier C wrote:

Hi everyone,

I want to know how I can message any client?  Because, when I click on the "Messages" icon in the Upwork app, it only displays "No messages yet".  Next, I can't do it on my desktop computer through Upwork's website as well.  So, does that mean I would have to get a reply from the client first about any proposals I plan to submit before I can ask her or him about any details? I am confused. For example, I want to contact a client about what they require from the job in detail before I submit any proposal (s).  In other words, I have not submitted any proposals yet.  Also, does the number of proposals shown in the client's description (in this case 10-15) mean the #  he or she requires? or is that something else?  Thank you.

By design you can't contact a client before he answers to your proposal, but he can contact you, either via invitation or by replying to your proposal. 

The number of proposals you see in the job post is the number of freelancers that have sent proposals to this client. Many jobs are flooded with proposals very quickly. Most of the time the client will look to hire 1 freelancer for a job, but sometimes multiple people are needed. Sometimes a client does not hire anybody at all. 

So if you want to win jobs, you need to start sending proposals. Keep in mind that the marketplace is a buyers market by a huge margin, so select carefully and only jobs that you are a 100% fit. 

Edit: you need a portfolio to showcase your skills, otherwise don't bother. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Javier C wrote:

Hi everyone,

By design you can't contact a client before he answers to your proposal, but he can contact you, either via invitation or by replying to your proposal. 

The number of proposals you see in the job post is the number of freelancers that have sent proposals to this client. Many jobs are flooded with proposals very quickly. Most of the time the client will look to hire 1 freelancer for a job, but sometimes multiple people are needed. Sometimes a client does not hire anybody at all. 

So if you want to win jobs, you need to start sending proposals. Keep in mind that the marketplace is a buyers market by a huge margin, so select carefully and only jobs that you are a 100% fit. 

Edit: you need a portfolio to showcase your skills, otherwise don't bother. 

Thank you Martina, I appreciate your suggestion and answers to my questions.

filip_knezevic
Community Member

Imagine if every one of 16 million freelancers would be able to ping any client out of the blue sky.

'Hey, I'm a professional, why don't you hire me? Trust me.'

Or

'I'm not entirely sure what did you men in your job post, in line two, paragraph thee.'

Or

'I'm a cool person, let's go to rave party together.'

If you catch my drift...

Bottom line:

You obviously can't message the client if they haven't replied to your bid yet.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths