cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out if the client is legitimate?

Frank M Member Since: Oct 9, 2017
1 of 5

How can I tell if the client is legitimate?  He's a brand-new client to Upwork, and I'm a brand-new freelancer.

I'm wondering if the check I'll receive to purchase accounting software (from a discounted vendor the client uses) that I've been requested to deposit into my bank account amd hold for 24 hours is a scam.  Red flag.

He represented his age as different than it actually is.  Red flag.

I provided my name, physical and e-mail address, and phone number during the interview, which was held on Google Hangouts.

Where does one sign a contract?  Is it on the Upwork website, or is it sent directly from the client?

How can I talk to someone at Upwork.com to verify the client?  Was I scammed?  Is there a phone number or e-mail to reach the Customer Support team members?

Please advise me if you can.  Thanks.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 5

@Frank M wrote:

How can I tell if the client is legitimate?  He's a brand-new client to Upwork, and I'm a brand-new freelancer.

I'm wondering if the check I'll receive to purchase accounting software (from a discounted vendor the client uses) that I've been requested to deposit into my bank account amd hold for 24 hours is a scam.  Red flag.

He represented his age as different than it actually is.  Red flag.

I provided my name, physical and e-mail address, and phone number during the interview, which was held on Google Hangouts.

Where does one sign a contract?  Is it on the Upwork website, or is it sent directly from the client?

How can I talk to someone at Upwork.com to verify the client?  Was I scammed?  Is there a phone number or e-mail to reach the Customer Support team members?

Please advise me if you can.  Thanks.

It's a SCAM. Any offer of payment outside Upwork is a scam, and any check you receive will bounce when you deposit it. 

Nothing you can do now about all the personal info you disclosed, but you should immediately review this post before some other mishap occurs: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833 

3 of 5

They just tried to get me too.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 5

If you have not yet deposited the fake check and sent real money to the scammer you have not been scammed yet.

Of course it is a scam, one of the oldest on the net...

Accepting any money, at all, even fake checks, outside the platform is always a ToS violation.

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 5

Hi Frank, 

I checked your account and I can see that the recent job that you were invited for has already been closed, and actions taken against the client's account for a ToS violation. 

As John has mentioned, any client mentioning payment off the platform should be reported as paying outside of Upwork is a violation of the ToS. Please read up on the link that John sent, these freelancer resources we compiled, and the chart that Petra made to help yourself with identifying red flags on fraudulent job posts, invites, and clients. 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS