🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How do I get in contact with a human bein...
Page options
zack-plauche
Community Member

How do I get in contact with a human being to fix issues I'm facing on Upwork without public forum?

Hi there, I'm experiencing a metric ton of issues from using this service that are quite irritating and I'd like to actually talk to a person one on one instead of a bot that was extremely unhelpful in finding a solution. Why is have you made is so difficult to get in touch with a customer service representative, and even ask a question?

I would like to address that issue first before any other response is made please.

I'm holding back from swearing right now because I really have no interest in reading the "community guidelines" and just assume that is a rule to make people politically correct, and I'd still like my fudging questions fudging answered by fudging a human.

Secondly, 
I'm unable to change street address for some unknown reason, as you will see in the screenshot attached.

I read the other forum questions that were extremely unhelpful. But they did help me realize that most articles are quite usless and I should ask a public facing question sharing flaws in the service in hopes that maybe someone with enough influence will actually make useful changes within the company. I could only hope lol.

For real though someone please help me change my street address or unlock the grey box so I can make it accurate.

10 REPLIES 10
versailles
Community Member

An Upwork moderator will chime in soon, but, in the meantime, check that your actual location and your time zone match and update your photo so it represents only you so they don't freeze your profile.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Thank you for your response.

That also would've been something nice to know from the beginning. I wonder if they could make a getting started video series or something.

Also had to do a deep dive just to see how to actually get paid and obtain a W9 form, etc. 

I'm currently travelling and am in Moldova.

Should I still make my timezone my US address? Or should I just start a business out here?

I'm a US citizen, I just do remote work in eastern Europe.

Zack P wrote:

I'm a US citizen, I just do remote work in eastern Europe.

Your citizenship is irrelevant.

If you currently live in Moldovia, that is what your profile location has to accurately reflect.

Petra R wrote:

Your citizenship is irrelevant.

If you currently live in Moldovia, that is what your profile location has to accurately reflect.

As per current Upwork verification rules, a freelancer's profile address should be his place of permanent residence.

Abinadab A wrote:

As per current Upwork verification rules, a freelancer's profile address should be his place of permanent residence.

It should be where he lives. Not if he is there on holiday for a few weeks, but if he lives there, whether officially or not.

Ah, ok. So I am temporariliy living here, kind of back and forth from here and Ukraine. 

However, I will be going back to the states later this year to setup a business.

While I'm living in Europe, should I setup a W-8BEN or should I still setup a W9?

Zack P wrote:

Ah, ok. So I am temporariliy living here, kind of back and forth from here and Ukraine. 

While I'm living in Europe, should I setup a W-8BEN or should I still setup a W9?

So basically we have established that you do not live in the USA for the time being.

Where are you a resident? In the Ukraine or Moldovia?

With US citizens abroad it is a little more difficult with taxation and depends on the tax treaty the country where you live and pay taxes on your income has with the US (to avoid double taxation.)

Setting up a company in the US later this year or the tax info does not change the fact that you need to set your account location to where you currently live.

At this point you haven't completed your profile, and there is no need to enter your tax details until you know if your profile is accepted (most are not)

Petra R wrote:

It should be where he lives. Not if he is there on holiday for a few weeks, but if he lives there, whether officially or not.

Having identity verified and gone through the rite of passage with the verification team, I can confirm that the most current rule is, your Upwork address should be your place of permanent residence.

Since the information is not privileged, I'm pasting it below. The identity and address verification team currently requires that your address verification doc should contain

- Date. Must be dated within the past 6 months
- Your name. If you live with someone you can send the statement in their name as long as their last/surname name matches the last/surname shown on your ID.
- Your address. The address on your statement must match your address on your Upwork profile. Your Upwork address is where you hold permanent residency.
- Company name. Company name (letterhead) must be visible for the company that issued your billing/financial statement.
- Company contact information. Address, phone number, or website for the company that issued statement must be visible

Abinadab A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Having identity verified and gone through the rite of passage with the verification team, I can confirm ...................

No amount of copy-pasting changes the fact that he lives in Europe and not in the USA and his profile needs to reflect that fact.   Kindly don't fudge the issue with information which is not relevant to this specific situation. Thank you.

Hm, ok so I figured out a fix to my issue.

What you have to do here is type in your address in the line ABOVE the area where it shows your address, and then you have to wait, and continually try to type more information about your address until it finally pops up, then you have to click on it, THEN it changes.

You cannot just press enter when you type in your street address, city name, etc. 

I think they tried to make it easier then just completely failed. 

Please for the love of the community stop making setting up an account so complicated. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths