cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my first gig?

Highlighted
Naphtali B Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
1 of 17

Hello, Community!  If you were to meet me in person, you would dig nme as a cool, intelligent guy who does not "look" his age (if you were to ask me such), nor do I conduct myself like those males who look similar to me.   I am a Baby Boomer ("the Best Generation"). I have common sense, manners, etiquette and belie stereotypes of the many Black Ameicans who call themselves "African American". Nyet, I am from New York City - an American, period. 

My specialities come from forty years as a music radio DJ, English Tutoring, proofreading, Club Dj, audio, video, voice-over spokesman and multi-media c.ontent creation with social media.

Yet, I can represent in the "hood" or the corporate boardroom, so how can I convey this to prospective clients?  

What am I missing in my proposals that will let clients know that I can help them. Pleasde be kind, ok?

Peace,

Mr. Bruce

P.S. I signede on to Upwork in February of 2017

Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 17

Naphtali B wrote:

Hello, Community!  If you were to meet me in person, you would dig nme as a cool, intelligent guy who does not "look" his age (if you were to ask me such), nor do I conduct myself like those males who look similar to me.  

There is such a concept as multiple intelligences, Mr. Bruce, so I believe you when you said that you're intelligent.

I am a Baby Boomer ("the Best Generation"). I have common sense, manners, etiquette and belie stereotypes of the many Black Ameicans who call themselves "African American". Nyet, I am from New York City - an American, period. 

I know people who stereotype freelancers as rascals who love to be different.

My specialities come from forty years as a music radio DJ, English Tutoring, proofreading, Club Dj, audio, video, voice-over spokesman and multi-media c.ontent creation with social media.

Is there an Upwork test that is specifically for radio talents? I think such a test result is missing in your profile page.

Yet, I can represent in the "hood" or the corporate boardroom, so how can I convey this to prospective clients?  

I don't talk about the corporate world with my clients.

What am I missing in my proposals that will let clients know that I can help them. Pleasde be kind, ok?

I just try to be myself whenever I bid on projects, Mr. Bruce.

Peace,

Mr. Bruce

P.S. I signede on to Upwork in February of 2017

3 of 17

Thank you...interesting way to reply, by the way. I checked - no "Radio Test" wish there was one.  I do have a 3rd Class Radiotelephone License from the FCC since the 1970s when I was in college.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 17

I like you OP. You gonna need some of that hood to battle it out on here.

BEST ANSWER
5 of 17

Thanks. What is  "OP"?  Old person? lol

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 17

Make your profile about what you can do for a client rather than about what you think is cool about you. The hard reality is that clients couldn't care less about your self-published books or about your interests that don't relate directly to their projects.

And, don't say "can help with" and make a long list of possibilities, as if you've tacked up a "no job too small" flyer at the supermarket. Narrow that down to a few core areas of expertise that are marketable and focus on those, telling the client why and how you can assist with (or take charge of) those projects.

7 of 17

Hi!

Thank you.  I made some adjustments as you suggested. Please check it our when you get the chance. Hard to focus on just a few, though, lol

Naph

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
8 of 17

From one boomer to another:  OP is original poster, the guy who started the thread.   LOL.

Your profile is kind of all over the place.  While I am quite sure you are highly experienced in lots of things, you might want to focus your profile on one or two skills - voice overs, blog writer (although there's a lot of competition for that one), whatever.  Search to see how many quality freelancers are on Upwork offering various skills and use that information  as a guide.

BTW - I'm older than you!

9 of 17

Hello Mary!!

Thanks for teaching me that.  I learn something new daily, as you know we do. Are there actually people OLDER than I?  lol

I am trying to pair it down - but I am good at so MUCH!!  ( :

Thank you so very much! Spasibo!

Eugenia D Member Since: Jan 27, 2019
10 of 17
Hello,

My name is Eugenia (Gina) Dubose and
I am very grateful to join your virtual community and I would like to find out how I can go about obtaining my first assignment to be of service.

Any valuable feedback from experience users would be greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Your new patient virtual colleague!

Gina
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS