🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How do I get my first job ?
Page options
51f26a3f
Community Member

How do I get my first job ?

Hello everyone, I am ayesha gull here. I am freelancer since 2 years but still I have not found any job. I have applied many time on Upwork but my all application has been declined. I am too much disappointed because when I get the first job they did scam with me. They take 50$ and delete their account from Upwork. Now please help me and guide me to know "HOW DO I GET MY FIRST JOB?"

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kranson
Community Member

Just keep applying to jobs. Do not give up. Follow the guidelines set forth on this site. Look for red flags while interacting with clients.

Marketing your work profile, using the link to your profile page, is a good way to drive potential clients to you.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
kranson
Community Member

Just keep applying to jobs. Do not give up. Follow the guidelines set forth on this site. Look for red flags while interacting with clients.

Marketing your work profile, using the link to your profile page, is a good way to drive potential clients to you.

51f26a3f
Community Member

Kandi R wrote:

Thank you so much I will try this steps I hope I will get the results soon 😊

26988f80
Community Member

first of all understand this is not that you won the project just by biding its all depend on clients that they invite after the post who they applied to invite that person got job for getting jobs you have to build your profile eyecathing 

I think you are right. I should struggle more and work on my skills. Thank you so much for your advice.

541e003f
Community Member

I am new comer on Upwork. I am experienced data entry specielist with typing speed 53 wpm.

ashok_raj
Community Member

Hi Ayesha,

When you are browsing through the job posts page, shortlist the top 10 job posts that match your skills the best by clicking on the heart symbol. In the next step, look closely at the 10 selected job posts and narrow down your list to 3. (Focus on the longer job posts in which the clients have included 3 to 5 customized questions.) Apply to these three job posts, but don't ever use a copy paste template. (Maybe you could use a few sentences.) Remember, each client and each job post is unique. Ideally, you should spend 20 to 30 minutes for each cover letter. It's best to treat looking for a new project as a job in itself. On some days, you will not find a single job post that's a perfect match for your skills. But on some days, you may find half a dozen job posts that are a perfect match for your skills. So expect every day to be different. Overall, applying for two perfect matches a day would be alright. 

Raj.K.Ashok

Raj A wrote:

Hi Ayesha,

When you are browsing through the job posts page, shortlist the top 10 job posts that match your skills the best by clicking on the heart symbol. In the next step, look closely at the 10 selected job posts and narrow down your list to 3. (Focus on the longer job posts in which the clients have included 3 to 5 customized questions.) Apply to these three job posts, but don't ever use a copy paste template. (Maybe you could use a few sentences.) Remember, each client and each job post is unique. Ideally, you should spend 20 to 30 minutes for each cover letter. It's best to treat looking for a new project as a job in itself. On some days, you will not find a single job post that's a perfect match for your skills. But on some days, you may find half a dozen job posts that are a perfect match for your skills. So expect every day to be different. Overall, applying for two perfect matches a day would be alright. 

I will must implement on this. I hope I will be succeeded 

(Focus on the longer job posts in which the clients have included 3 to 5 customized questions.)

Customized questions are often just a hindrance, but they might work as a screening for effort. No evidence that I've heard for that.

Apply to these three job posts, but don't ever use a copy paste template. (Maybe you could use a few sentences.) Remember, each client and each job post is unique.

In my experience and the experience of others, only the first 1-4 sentences need to be customized. Also, I find that having a template with extra information that I can delete (to tailor to the job) is much easier than remembering the deleted information whenever I need to add it.

Ideally, you should spend 20 to 30 minutes for each cover letter.

Unless you are a great match with very little competition, even 20 minutes is too long. I can see that being a good goal for the first few proposals that a person writes, but after they have practiced, I think no more than 7 minutes should be spent for reading the job post and submitting the proposal (assuming no additional questions).

Thank you, man.

But can I see a sample of the cover letter please.... 

Community Member

Did you apply to Upwork for a religious exemption from the headwear restriction on profile pictures? In this article, there is a button (masquerading as a link at the bottom of the "Add Profile Photo" section) to apply for one, so that you can have a photo in compliance with the Terms of Service.

6c470276
Community Member

Hello upwork freelancers, I am also new to upwork.

Could you tell me how much task is suitable as the first job?

shaafkhan10k
Community Member

Well, I am also a new member of this website I used to do freelance on fiver. The main thing that I realized is that when we apply for a job in the hope to get hired at that time we should focus on over cover letter. Most of the time newbies keep saying I can do this and that but to be honest, the client is not looking for that he/she is more interested is that what you can offer them. try saying I can make professional, creative logos for you instead of I can make professional logos. So focus on what we can offer them rather than what we can do.  Another thing is that we should always say why he or she should hire me not anyone else. What makes me stand out from the competition? Why should the Client hire me not anyone else who has the same skill that I have? Hope that answers the question.

60df0d9f
Community Member

Hello everyone. I'm new here I've been struggling to get a job can someone please help me 

Hi Noxolo,

Thanks for reaching out! I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Good luck!

~ AJ
Upwork
0e1b6327
Community Member

Thank you, Annie, for providing all of the resources and information. I'm in the same boat as Noxolo. Fortunately, I found my way to this page.🤗

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths