🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How do I know client's name?
Page options
crystalellis
Community Member

How do I know client's name?

When writing a proposal, how do I know the name of the client?  I would like to address it to them, but I can't seem to find it in the job posting.

Thanks,

Crystal

17 REPLIES 17
prestonhunter
Community Member

You don't need to know the client's name.

Upwork doesn't want you to know the client's name.

Not because you did anything wrong.

But because scoundrels were abusing the privilege, and were using the names to contact clients directly, to pester them or to offer to work off-platform.

Even when we did have the client's name, I never looked at it or used it. When you write your proposals, just tell the clients what you are going to do for them and how you will work on the project they described in the job posting. No names.

Hello Mr. Preston, You have mentioned that freelancer doesn’t need to know the client’s name and also mentioned that Upwork doesn't want freelancer to know the client's name. Definitely I am agree with you what you are saying regarding of that issue, but do you have any idea that Upwork encouraged to newbie freelancer to mention client’s name in the top of the proposal so that it seems like it’s not a copy/paste proposal (Source - Online Course for new Freelancers > module 3 > Submitting Proposals section). I think this might confused to any new comer. A crystal clear official explanation would be better instead of any own imaginative logic.

Best Regards,

Sayem H13.png

Sayem:

Out with the old.

In with the new.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sayem,

I'll speak with our team about possibly modifying the suggestion you outlined, since client's names will be available only if they decide to include them in their job post. If you come across such a job post, it would still be advised to include their name in your proposal for the reason mentioned in the online guide.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi vladimir,
I always see two names for a client who I am sending my proposal for. I don't understand which one is the true name. Can you explain why upwork shows two names corresponding to one job posted.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kinza, 

I would like to confirm that it's possible that a client is working with a team mate who has another account on Upwork, and they are working together on this project. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Vladimir dispite I am new in upwork I believe that upwork should regulate more hard people trying to contract out of the plarform but using it to collect proposals, for example a few days a go I found a job post in which they invite you to add your email for more detalis. I submmit my proposal but I just tell them that I was available in the upwork messenger.

Upwork should know (probably they do) that exist freelancers (like me) that we defend and protect the platform because we believe on it.

Vladimir, this is still a problem, as far as I can tell. I've read articles about winning proposals and viewed Upwork's helpful videos about setting up as a freelancer. Both say to address the client by name instead of simply "Hello." Yet, understandably, the client's name is not available to avoid them being bombarded by desperate freelancers. It would be helpful if this conflicting information was cleared up.

Julie Klein

JKlein-Editor

Totally agree!

Hi Preston,

This is apparently a hot issue to debate on because as a new Freelancer on this platform, one of the numerous things I came across was to refer to clients by their names instead of the casual HIs and Hellos.

To date, clients' names are hidden until a proposal is sent by the freelancer before they see the client's name and most of the time, the freelancer falls back to the use of the HIs and Hellos which oftentimes cost them the opportunity to work for certain clients who deem them as unserious because Upwork said to include a client's name in the proposal.

I think it will do the freelancers good if Upwork asks the clients to add their names, or better still, in other to protect their identity from nefarious freelancers, ask clients to wave the name thing and pick qualifying freelancers.

Thank you. 

datasciencewonk
Community Member

Following up on Preston's accurate reply...

If clients INVITE you to apply to their job, then the company and/or the contact person's name is revealed to you. Otherwise, it's not revealed until they interview you.

But, yes, imagine (if you will) millions of freelancers knowing who you are as a client. A certain percentage of these freelancers are desperate and nefarious. Now, you're being pummeled with emails and queries outside of Upwork (if they find your social media or corporate contact avenues).

Yeah. That's not a good idea.

isabella52
Community Member

How do I know client name

re: "How do I know client name"

Upwork doesn't provide the client's name as part of a job proposal.

You don't need that information.

Re: "How do I know client name"

You can find it from client's previous history but it's not necessary.
mimrancreative
Community Member

Clear one thing you can't be able to find out the Client name. Only one option you can click on client work history, here you can see the name of the client. 

kiramat86
Community Member

Upwork never show client's name,,,, becuase of client privacy...

97c3d08b
Community Member

yes i am Rimsha Arif

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths