cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know if someone is trustworthy if they have 0 job experience here?

Highlighted
Michael K Member Since: May 27, 2017
1 of 9

Hi all,

I'm not a freelancer, I'm hiring for a specific FB integration job with a forum.  It's my first time here...I am getting a few really good resumes from people, but the problem is that they have 0 work experience here. How do I know they aren't just scamming me?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

The only way to know for certain to hire a freelancer and see how she does.

Closely monitor the work of all new freelancers. Continue working only with the ones who provide you with the best work and best value.

If you want to have a better chance of hiring a trustworthy, quality freelancer, then look carefully at the a candidate's work history and try to hire freelancers with more experience, positive reviews, and higher rates.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 9

For the record, as a client I have hired over 70 freelancers. I DO hire quite a few freelancers who have zero work history.

Some of them are great! Some of them aren't.

But I start them with:

- a very limited number of hours per week

- a small fixed-price project

- limited or zero access to my core systems

...at least until I see what they do for me and gain my trust.

Highlighted
Michael K Member Since: May 27, 2017
4 of 9

Thank you for the information, I sincerely appreciate the help and advice. It's a bit nerve-wracking honestly.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 9

If you are on a budget and a scam would put you out of business or whatever, you need to stick with people with a history. Taking chances is not for people that would be broke if someone runs off with their money.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 9

@Jennifer M wrote:

If you are on a budget and a scam would put you out of business or whatever, you need to stick with people with a history. Taking chances is not for people that would be broke if someone runs off with their money.

Jenn M raised a good point here. If you are at all nervous and unsure, you are always better off hiring someone with an extensive history. I generally recommend new clients hire experienced freelancers, and that new freelancers look for work with experienced clients. That gives less headaches all around. As you gain more experience and confidence as a client, you can start looking at newer freelancers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
7 of 9

@Michael K wrote:

Hi all,

I'm not a freelancer, I'm hiring for a specific FB integration job with a forum.  It's my first time here...I am getting a few really good resumes from people, but the problem is that they have 0 work experience here. How do I know they aren't just scamming me?

Make sure that the requirements of what needs to be done is detailed in the contract/milestone. Do NOT release escrow until the freelancer completely complies with the requirements that needed to be done AND you are completely satisfied with the results of the job

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 9

Michael, if the applicants have a portfolio in their profile, make sure the portfolio items weren't stolen from other freelancers by searching for other freelancers using the title, or parts of the description, of the portfolio item. Also, avoid any inexperienced freelancers with top 10% scores on tests they complete in less than 10 minutes (aside from the readiness test, which is rather easy).

Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 9

Sometimes, you can find the stolen free themes by doing a reverse lookup on the images too. People really need to check this stuff cuz there are soooo freaking many people with stolen portfolio items.

If their English is off and they claim to be in the US, you should probably ask for a short Skype call. This will kill off the frauds because most of the time they won't do a Skype call cuz they know they are caught.