🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How do I reply to a client's message when the...
Page options
haycock_melanie
Community Member

How do I reply to a client's message when they have declined my proposal

I submitted a proposal, which was declined by the client because my rate was higher than they were willing to pay. They sent me a nice message when they declined, which I would like to respond to. But I can't find where I can respond to them. The message came through via an Upwork notification email, not through my Upwork message centre. Can anyone help? Is it possible to respond to that message? Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Melanie H wrote:

Is it possible to respond to that message? 

No, it isn't.

That's a shame. Thanks, Petra. 

Melanie:

I'm not sure what you are concened about.

Imagine...

I am a client.

You have applied to my job.

I have declined your job proposal.

I have selected another freelancer.

You don't need to do anything else now. You don't need to respond or anything. I am fine.

I had wanted to reply because the client had praised my profile, work sample and proposal and said they would have liked to have worked with me – it was merely the cost that was the kicker. If I could respond, I could negotiate a suitable rate (they had not specified a budget or preferred rate on their job post).

Have you checked if you can reply through email?
sedaanil
Community Member

I've experienced the same thing. The client who declined my proposal said really nice things in their message., such as how they've really found my application and profile successful, but chose to go ahead with another translator this time (maybe because they found my price high), and wished me success in my career. 

They've been really nice and polite, but I can't even get back to them and say: "Thank you so much for your message, I hope we can work on other projects in the future."  

It's so impolite that I leave such a message unanswered. And they will obviously think that about me. Do they even know that I'm not able to answer their message??

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Seda, 

This is working as designed. When a client declines a proposal, they have the opportunity to leave a message for the freelancer. Some clients leave a message, and some don't. The only time the freelancer and client can exchange messages is if the client accepts the proposal. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Don't worry about it. A client that declines your proposal because they hired someone else is very unlikely to expect an answer from you.

d2c871c3
Community Member

I was looking for help with this as well since my message from the declining client had an active question for me in it. It seems that they might also not be aware that I'm not able to interact with the message so now I'm stuck searching for the best way to get in touch with them to respond and it's a little tricky for someone who's new to the site. I would prefer if it was clearer for client and freelancers that the additional message system is not made for initiating mutual communication.

badis99
Community Member

probably it is spam.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths