cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I send payments to my parent's bank account as I don't have an active one?

Highlighted
Anand B Member Since: Jul 5, 2017
1 of 8

Hello!

I don't have an active bank account, so I tried to enter bank account details of my parents. But then a notification came up that I have to use an account under my name. How do I solve this? I do have a bank account but its not active and I wouldn't be able to activate it now. But I want Upwork to direct money to my parents local bank account. Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

You can not use someone else's bank account. Either re-activate your own account, or open another, or use a different withdrawal method which must also be yours and in your name

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
3 of 8

I don't understand how one can have a bank account that is so "inactive" that it won't accept money. This is genuine puzzlement on my part. It has always been my experience that the easiest thing to DO at a bank is to deposit money into an account. The tellers may not be willing to give you a receipt with the account-holder's full name or current balance listed, but the bank will ALWAYS accept INCOMING money. (May require I.D. for deposits over $10,00O in U.S. currency. Happy problem to have. But that's about it. Otherwise, they'll take legal currency and/or financial instruments from anyone for deposit into any open, legitimate account.)

Highlighted
4 of 8

I live in India, and to have an active bank account (which can accept money), the account should already contain around $250. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
5 of 8

@ Anand -- Gotcha.  

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 8

Hi Anand,

You can only use a bank account that you own, in your own name. Please select one of the options Petra noted in her post in order to set up a withdrawal method on your account.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

TECHNICALLY you could go to the bank and get your name added as a valid, legal account holder on your parents' bank account, and then Upwork would allow you to withdraw money to that account.

But I strongly advise you to have your own account. Keep in mind that millions of people your age have their own active bank accounts in India. It is not a difficult threshold to meet.

Highlighted
8 of 8

Sir, I do have a bank account but in India, to have an active bank account (which can accept money), the account should already contain around $250. Though I have worked in different fields, I am just out of high school. I don't earn enough to keep my bank account active. But I'll definitely keep that in mind!