🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How do the transactions work? payment and...
Page options
byandrewsdesign
Community Member

How do the transactions work? payment and file transfer

Hey all,

Just signed up. Been in the industry for a few years. 

I'm not 100% on how payment vs file transfer works. I understand there's some sort of escrow but when is it released? when the client decides to pay or when the file has been uploaded? 

Has anyone been taken advantage of on here; where they've done the job but the client backed out after?

3 REPLIES 3
JoanneP

Hi Andrew,

To get paid for working on a fixed-price contract, please submit your work using the "Submit Work for Payment" button. The client has 14 days from the most recent submission on a milestone to review and approve or request changes. If your client doesn't respond to any milestone submission within 14 days, the deposit is automatically released to you. You might want to check the following help articles to learn more about how you can get paid for fixed-price contracts: 

Get Paid for Fixed-Price Contracts

Fixed-Price Protection

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks for the reply Joanne.

How many times can the client refuse approval and ask for changes before funds are released? Like say the clients requirements were to "make it pop" on a design project. With that being super subjective, they could just keep asking for changes until they like what they see?

Let me know when you can

Thanks

Andrew

With fixed price projects, it's best to be extremely clear about how many revisions are included before you accept a project. (I put this in my proposals.) It's true that you might get a bad client who continues to ask for revisions and refuses to release the escrow payment until you do them, in which case there's a dispute and mediation process in place. Use common sense and develop a bad client radar detector (first rule: don't work for clients who say things like "make it pop") and you'll be fine.

You can minimise risk by breaking the project into smaller milestones and having the client release payments at each stage that you complete. If you agree that they'll owe you, say, $100 when you submit an initial idea, then they'll have to pay you and fund the next milestone before you start working on any revisions.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths