🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How do you ever get hired on here?
Page options
hoff-mike
Community Member

How do you ever get hired on here?

I have been at this for a few months and submitted numerous proposals.  I have extensive experience with Excel and VBA (more than 20 years).  That is not a specialty I can use to create a specialty profile and have asked that it be added but so far nothing.

Many people on here are looking for people who have done work on Upwork before.  So it's the chicken and egg game.  I can't get hired before I do some work on here, but I can't do some work on here, because I don't have work completed on here.   I do make a point to let people know that I am new to upwork but have 20+ years of development time in Excel and VBA.  What am I missing?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi
Community Member

Michael H wrote:

I have been at this for a few months and submitted numerous proposals.  I have extensive experience with Excel and VBA (more than 20 years).  That is not a specialty I can use to create a specialty profile and have asked that it be added but so far nothing.

Many people on here are looking for people who have done work on Upwork before.  So it's the chicken and egg game.  I can't get hired before I do some work on here, but I can't do some work on here, because I don't have work completed on here.   I do make a point to let people know that I am new to upwork but have 20+ years of development time in Excel and VBA.  What am I missing?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I suggest you rewrite your entire overview. There's absolutely no need to announce that you're new. You're using way too many "I this, I that" ... clients want to know what you can do for them, and that should be the main focus of your overview.

Get rid of the second paragraph, clients do not need to read your bio. You should also add more to your portfolio - if you've been at it for 20 years, then illustrate that with samples.

You can get hired with no prior Upwork jobs ... we all started at zero.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
luce-neidert
Community Member

Michael, what you have to remember is that we all were beginners at some time, and most of us have had a tough time getting started. So don't get discouraged!

mtngigi
Community Member

Michael H wrote:

Thanks

I suggest you rewrite your entire overview. There's absolutely no need to announce that you're new. You're using way too many "I this, I that" ... clients want to know what you can do for them, and that should be the main focus of your overview.

Get rid of the second paragraph, clients do not need to read your bio. You should also add more to your portfolio - if you've been at it for 20 years, then illustrate that with samples.

You can get hired with no prior Upwork jobs ... we all started at zero.

Thanks for the feedback. It’s appreciated.

Thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths