🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How do you know if you are being scammed
Page options
e3158bf1
Community Member

How do you know if you are being scammed

I am very confused by this platform. I am not one to break rules but I have gotten two proposals declined - why? Then they contact me once by Telegram who would not verify his company or website and another to sign in for a quick interview on Skype. No one ever responded.

There also does not appear to be a place where you can chat with anyone or ask questions or get answers to anything.

I paid a monthy membership fee but so far it appears just anyone is allowed to post work here without guard rails so it is a free for all!

Very dsappointed so far. Will not renew my membership.

4 REPLIES 4
christopherbudde
Community Member

If you do stay you need to move your portfolio to Upwork. Links to off-site portfolios and not allowed and often won't be visited anyway. Scams are everywhere here so do be careful. In my opinion, Upwork has turned to a company that sells connects and not much else. I've stopped applying to anything but invites. For me, no ROI on bidding anymore.

Yes, so far I agree with you about selling connects and that's it.

I submitted 4 proposales and 3 of them were scams I verified yesterday although I did finally get in touch with someone in customer service who answered some quesitons.

I think if they charge you a membership fee, there should be some hard boundaries on who is allowed to solicit work. It's a waste of money, time and connects.

rekasesh
Community Member

Here is a list of scams to avoid -- Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C 

You can link to outside portfolios items except for social media pages) in your proposal, but ensure that all communication and payment is done through Upwork. It's a violation of ToC to do otherwise.

My portfolio is my website. No way I am going to "move" it to here. That is ridiculous. If that works for you, great but I don't spend hours a week keeping it updated to have to rebuild it somewhere else plagued by scammers.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths