Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you spot a scam? 2 offers from different companies emails same

Highlighted
Joanne M Member Since: Jan 14, 2017
1 of 16

Hi everyone,

I am new to upwork and am wondering if anyone can help.... I have been offered work by 2 companies ....however the emails are word for word, which is making me wonder if something is not quite right.......

Opinions please?
thanks 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 16

@Joanne M wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am new to upwork andam wondering if anyone can help.... I have been offered work by 2 companies ....however the emails are word for word, which is making me wonder if something is not quite right....... here is the message:

. . .

Opinions please?

thanks 

It looks like a genuine offer to me. By the way most of your post will be deleted, because it is against the forum rules to quote directly from a job post.

If you are worried about fake jobs you must take the time to read more about how Upwork operates and read this post which gives you some of the essentials: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214. Particularly "Tips on how to avoid questionable jobs".

As to your offer, make absolutely certain that you have a formal contract in place and always use the tracker if you work on an hourly basis, which should keep you safe.

Edited to add: It is possible that the client did not know he/she should not have posted the same job twice. However, my antennae are waving on this one, and I think you should ask customer support to check it out for you.

Highlighted
3 of 16

thank you.. I was not aware of that.. sorry..... I was concerned as both offers are direct word for word.... I will delete the message within mine.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 16

@Joanne M wrote:

thank you.. I was not aware of that.. sorry..... I was concerned as both offers are direct word for word.... I will delete the message within mine.

Thanks

Joanne,

While communication away from Upwork is fine, make sure that a formal Upwork contract is in place before doing any work for this client. Do not be tempted to work on trust or off site. If the client suggests this then report him/her.

As it is two different companies with exactly the same wording, I think you should definitely ask CS about this client, before going any further.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 16

The offer in the upwork message room is the same or the text from the client is the same? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 16

oh nvm I see same text from the rando. Yeah, it's probably a scam. I noticed in my little games I play with them that what they do is after a few days open a new scam gig and invite you. They make their name totally different but they are too lazy to change the job description, so you know it's the same guy. I guess they know that their days are numbered, so they open a new job and invite the same people in case upwork kills one of the jobs.

Matter of fact if you harass them on the second invite they will even admit they are the same person. lol

So anywho, yeah it's a scam.

Highlighted
7 of 16

thank you

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
8 of 16

Joanne, 

There is no harm to work with your client. You must track your time through Upwork app software in hourly job or amount must be funded in fixed price job. Please also check if client's payment method is verified. Yeah, you can communicate with your client through email or skype or phone if client requested to do that. Never accept offer work outside Upwork domain. 

Although, job looks rather difficult but if it is in your way then you can go with it. 

I hope that now it is for you to decide. 

Best Regards

Abdul

Highlighted
9 of 16

thankyou abdul, I was mainly concerned as both emails from different companies were exactly the same word for word.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
15 of 16

1. Never click on any link where you need to login. 

2. If client's payment method is verified and he funded the set amount then you can go with him/her. 

3. May be client has 2  different registered companies.