Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you spot a scam? 2 offers from different companies emails same

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 16

Abdul,

As the OP is new to this site, I think she is quite right to err on the side of caution. It is not often that newcomers get genuine invitations within a short time of joining.

The wording of the job offer, was slightly off. I have never had a client (or any employer in the B & M world for that matter) tell me in an invitation to interview how old he is, for example.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
15 of 16

She should decline/block this offer then. That is the best option. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 16

I don't spend too much time trying to evaluate the situation if it is in a "gray" area... might be a scam might not be. If the client or offer seems a little weird, I'll still accept an invitation and agree to do work if the work is the kind of work I regularly do and the client agrees to my rate.

If I accept an actual, official Upwork job offer and log hourly time properly, there's not much that can go wrong for me.

Example: Last month I worked for a client in India for a couple of weeks. First week was fine. During second week Upwork suspended the contract, saying there was a problem with the client's payment method. The client told me this was due to Indian demonetization, which is a real thing.

I don't know if the client was 100% honest or not. Upwork ended up having trouble billing the client. But here's the thing: I STILL GOT PAID. Upwork came through with their payment guarantee and I was paid for all the time I worked on the project.

So... If I know a client is a scammer, I waste no time talking to them. Scammers don't contact me, though, so this is rarely an issue for me.

If I'm not sure a client is a scammer, I treat them the same way I treat all clients:

If they hire me, I'll work for them. If they don't hire me, I don't work for them.

You don't get paid by somebody who doesn't officially hire you, whether they're a scammer or not. So it's a waste of my time to give it too much thought or "research."

Highlighted
Joanne M Member Since: Jan 14, 2017
15 of 16

nope  one was andrew the other tom both 50 etc etc

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 16

Hi Joanne,

I see the interviews you are referring to and I'll forward them to our Marketplace Quality team for a review. If they found that the clients are violating Upwork ToS, they'll take actions against those jobs.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Joanne M Member Since: Jan 14, 2017
16 of 16

Thak you all,

I checked my account this morning and both offers etc have totally disappeared so it looks like my questions been answered. Thanks for replying.