cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Upwork charge Freelancers?

Wessam A Member Since: Jan 28, 2017
1 of 4

Hello, I'm new to Upwork. I come from a different freelancing community, and after being ripped off several times there (by the entity itself and not contractors), I decided to move to Upwork where I'll be starting off fresh.

My question is, does Upwork charge my client the 10% fee before I'm paid, or does it follow a different model (like the one I'm used to), that charges me through PayPal (or whichever payment method I've chosen) before the job is done?

I'm asking because if a client chooses not to pay me, I'll be losing a lot of money, and earning nothing. Am I charged when I start working for a client or does Upwork take its fee after the job is done?

Thank you for your time!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 4

Wessam:

Upwork is totally different from the main "other freelancing work platform" you have had experience with.

I have never been ripped off while working on Upwork.

Basically it is simple:

If you don't make money, Upwork doesn't charge you anything.

If you make money, Upwork takes a percentage of that.

Starting with 20% for the first $500 you earn with a client, and then 10%. (Until you reach $10,000... and it goes down to 5%).

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 4

@Wessam A wrote:

Hello, I'm new to Upwork.
My question is, does Upwork charge my client the 10% fee before I'm paid, or does it follow a different model (like the one I'm used to), that charges me through PayPal (or whichever payment method I've chosen) before the job is done?

Neither.

You pay the Upwork fee which is 20% with any given client up to the first $ 500, 10% on your earnings from any one client that has billed $ 500 to $ 10.000 and 5% over $ 10.000 only when your client has paid. Essentially it is directly deducted from what the client is paying you.

You are never charged on anything you have not been paid for.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 4

Wessam,

Clients on Upwork have a very small charge to pay on a freelancer hire.

Freelancers pay Upwork 20%  as a basic rate for new clients.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062538-Freelancer-Service-Fees

There are several payment possibilities on Upwork - but if you wish to be protected (as far as is possible) do not accept any job unless you have a formal contract in place.  The contract should include a funded milestone in escrow if it is a fixed-rate job, or hours agreed and the tracker turned on if it is an hourly job.

There is no protection if you take the client on trust, or if you work without a formal contract in place.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS