🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How does paying a free lancer work
Page options
037aefff
Community Member

How does paying a free lancer work

So if I hire a freelancer for $7/hr, am I only paying that or are there additional upwork fees to pay?  

Also, how do the contracts work?  Can we hire and decide to get rid of someone after a couple weeks if they suck? 

I need more info about how it all works and I am having a hard time finding it here.

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

@Kyle M wrote:

1) So if I hire a freelancer for $7/hr, am I only paying that or are there additional upwork fees to pay?  

2) Also, how do the contracts work?  Can we hire and decide to get rid of someone after a couple weeks if they suck? 

I need more info about how it all works and I am having a hard time finding it here.

1) Yes, you pay 2.75% payment processing fee.

2) Sure. You are free to end any hourly contract at any time. You will be charged only for the hours logged up to that point.

Do bear in mind that you have to allign your expectations with your rate paid.

When you offer an entry level hourly rate such as $ 7.00 an hour, you will have to be happy with entry level work.

nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Kyle,

To summarize best practices, we’ve created a free Client Guide, which is a handy user manual to get you started off. Please also explore the Hiring Guides, which provide resources and interview questions you can utilize as you search for freelancers. I encourage you to view both links for more detailed information. Then, you may also visit the Hiring Headquarters - a blog with hiring content for your reference. If you have any specific questions, feel free to follow up with them here and we'll be happy to help!

~Nina
colettelewis
Community Member

Edited out: my post repeated what others have said.

re: "Can we hire and decide to get rid of someone after a couple weeks if they suck?"

A couple weeks??

I once ended a contract ten minutes after I hired a freelancer (when it became clear that he didn't really know anything about a topic I had hired him to consult on).

He was paid for ten minutes of work and I quickly hired another Upwork freelancer who was awesome.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths