🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How get Upwork Hours by completing fixed-rate...
Page options
d_deane_vo
Community Member

How get Upwork Hours by completing fixed-rate or "private" jobs?

I am a freelancer seeking voice over work.  Some posted jobs require the freelancer to have a certain number of "Upwork hours" already logged in order for the freelancer's proposal to be considered. 

1) Are Upwork hours recorded only for jobs paid on an hourly basis, or are they also recorded for jobs paid on a fixed-rate basis (which are most of those posted)  or jobs treated as "private"?    For completed fixed-rate or private jobs, if I or the client must take specific action to have Upwork hours recorded, what action is required by whom?
2) Where are a freelancer's Upwork hours visible to the freelancer and to potential clients?
Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prachi163
Community Member

2) Where are a freelancer's Upwork hours visible to the freelancer and to potential clients?
Thanks.

If you go to your profile, the hours are visible to you as well as any client who views your profile. However, if you haven't worked on any hourly projects yet, this field will not be visible at all.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Freelancers do not accumulate hours for doing fixed-price contracts.

This needs to explained in your proposal.

My question concerned how to get Upwork Hours by completing fixed-rate or "private" jobs?  An Upwork "community guru" replied:  "This needs to explained in your proposal."  

That's not very helpful because it doesn't explain what my proposal should include to let me earn Upwork hours for completing  the job.  Please clarify.  Specifically: What explanation should I put in my proposal to a client for a fixed-rate or private job in order to help me earn Upwork hours for completing that job?  

You cannot add to hours by working on fixed-price projects. You can accumulate hours only by working on hourly projects. There is nothing you can write in a proposal or do otherwise in order to increase hours while working on fixed-price projects.

re: "My question concerned how to get Upwork Hours by completing fixed-rate or 'private' jobs?"

No, there is no such thing as getting Upwork hours for fixed-prate projects or private jobs.

re: An Upwork 'community guru' replied: 'This needs to explained in your proposal.'"

What Mary was referring to was this:

You are a freelancer who is interested in working on jobs which require a certain amount of Upwork hours. But you work mostly on fixed-price contracts. So you don't accumulate Upwork hours. Mary was saying you need to explain this in your proposals.

Actually, you MAY explain that in your proposals. I recommend that you just don't worry about it.

If you are the right freelancer for the job and succinctly explain how you will do the project and make the client's life better because of it... You don't need to offer any explanation for why your number of Upwork hours is less than an arbitrary number that the client "requested" by clicking a button.

prachi163
Community Member

Thanks.

If you go to your profile, the hours are visible to you as well as any client who views your profile. However, if you haven't worked on any hourly projects yet, this field will not be visible at all.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Donald D wrote:

I am a freelancer seeking voice over work.  Some posted jobs require the freelancer to have a certain number of "Upwork hours" already logged in order for the freelancer's proposal to be considered. 

1) Are Upwork hours recorded only for jobs paid on an hourly basis, or are they also recorded for jobs paid on a fixed-rate basis (which are most of those posted)  or jobs treated as "private"?    For completed fixed-rate or private jobs, if I or the client must take specific action to have Upwork hours recorded, what action is required by whom?
Thanks.

Donald D wrote:

Thanks.

You can still apply to these jobs and explain that you only do fixed price projects and therefore don't fulfill that requirement. The number is a bit meaningless because of that, but newer clients might not know that. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths