🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How it works
Page options
antoniorr
Community Member

How it works

Hi. It is my first time using the website and want to be sure I am doing it correctly. I am a freelancer and got contacted by a company for an article creation. I've been in contact with them, and I want to accept the offer. Where do I click? also, where do I submit my work? What guarantees do I have that I will be paid after submitting my piece? Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Antonio,

When a client sends an offer, you should be able to see it within your messages with the client and you'll see a buttonn to press in order to accept the offer. If an Hourly Contract is created, then you log your hours using the time tracker. If Fixed-Price contract is created, work can be submitted through the "Submit work and request payment" button on the contract/ Please check out this article about how to Work With Clients on Upwork which provides information on the steps to start working with clients. Also take check out this thread which has many useful tips and information for getting started on Upwork. Hope that helps!

~Nina

Hi Nina,

Thanks for your reply. I might not have asked it correctly. I was contacted by a company to write a post, and I want to do it. However, how can I be sure that I submit the article and get paid? I did not propose anything... Not sure if this makes sense. 

Antonio,

If you had bothered to read the links that Nina sent you, you would have found the answer to your questions. 

If you were contacted by a company to write a post, then you tell the company you would like to do it for whatever amount you agree to with the client. They must set up a formal contract with Upwork. You can do this on an hourly basis or as a fixed rate. When the contract has been agreed you write the article and then submit it to the client. The client  has to pay you through Upwork. If you and/or the client agree to payment off site, then your account will be suspended. 

Before you start working on Upwork, you really should read the Terms of Service and the links that Nina provided you with. 

Hi Nichola,

Thanks for the reply. I did read them and I still did not understand, hence I my question again. And I still don't get it. I do not have any button to click like to accept or not the contract. It is all through the messaging system. And this is what seems suspicious. Anyways, thanks for the help.

@Antonio R wrote:

Hi Nichola,

Thanks for the reply. I did read them and I still did not understand, hence I my question again. And I still don't get it. I do not have any button to click like to accept or not the contract. It is all through the messaging system. And this is what seems suspicious. Anyways, thanks for the help.

Antonio,

Have you actually received a message from Upwork saying you have a formal offer from this client? If you have this will show in your email and in the message room and you can accept it or not. Make sure though, that if you are working on a fixed-rate basis, that the client has funded the entire amount into escrow. If you are working on an hourly basis, make sure to work with the tracker turned on. 

ETA: Have a look here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115008047708-Review-Proposed-Contract 

If the client has not sent you a formal offer, then move on. In the second link Nina sent you you will see another link about how to recognize questionable jobs. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths