🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How long after transaction can chargeback be ...
Page options
aredae1992
Community Member

How long after transaction can chargeback be issued?

a couple of days back, one of my client issued a chargeback and upwork had to reverse the payment on the given contract. 

I have a few contracts with this client, a charge back was issued for the least valuable one ( 100$ ), 
I have another 2 contracts for ( 1000$ and 500$ ).

I want to know if there is a time limit to chargebacks ?

14 REPLIES 14
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ahmed,

I`m sorry to hear about this, I can see that you have an open ticket for this as well. Feel free to post your questions on your ticket and our team will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

@Ahmed Reda E wrote:

It depends on the bank / payment method. Mostly it is 90 days.

@Petra R wrote:

@Ahmed Reda E wrote:

Depends on the country/zone. If I remember well, In the US, chargebacks are easier to pull than in the EU for instance.

If you pay with a French Visa card for instance, good luck with triggering a chargeback...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

@Ahmed Reda E wrote:

Depends on the country/zone. If I remember well, In the US, chargebacks are easier to pull than in the EU for instance.

If you pay with a French Visa card for instance, good luck with triggering a chargeback...

I think client and freelancer are in Egypt. There might be the easiest option to solve the issue outside UW.

That is correct, however I have no way of contacting the client other than via upwork chat. 

I did ask support for infomration about why he issued a chargeback and / or  means by which I can contact him, they refused to give me any information saying that they have notified the client to contact me as soon as possible. 

559033e1
Community Member

Can i withdraw my available funds during the 90days period? 

I'm not sure what you mean by the 90-day period, but if Upwork has told you that your money is available, then you can withdraw all or some of it at any time.  The process is clear on your "reports"page:  "Work in Progress" (and then when you have delivered the work) "Review", then "pending", then "available".  

bobafett999
Community Member

@Ahmed Reda E wrote:

a couple of days back, one of my client issued a chargeback and upwork had to reverse the payment on the given contract. 

I have a few contracts with this client, a charge back was issued for the least valuable one ( 100$ ), 

The real question should be why do you want to work for this dude?

@Prashant P wrote:

The real question should be why do you want to work for this dude?

Obviously, in absence of future-telling abilities, he didn't know the client would do this kind of thing before completing all three contracts.

As Petra mentioned, I had no future telling abilities at the time. I didn't even know that chargeback existed. 

after completing all 3 contracts he issued a chargeback, and I thought I'm protected by upwork fixed priced protection. 

@You Ahmed Reda E wrote:

As Petra mentioned, I had no future telling abilities at the time. I didn't even know that chargeback existed. 

after completing all 3 contracts he issued a chargeback, and I thought I'm protected by upwork fixed priced protection. 

You are protected "somewhat" by upwork's fixed priced protection. That protection resides in Upwork's escrow account where a client's money is put until work is completed. HOURLY rate jobs have a better protection. If using the Tracker and annotating the screen shots it takes, by not having large amounts of time when nothing is happening, or not doing other work such as reading email, playing games etc when you should be working, then Upwork will pay you (including chargebacks) when something goes wrong with a client's account. 

What strikes me as odd about this, is that this client gave you 5 star reviews and an Excellent as feedback on all 3 jobs. Why would he initiate a chargeback after that?

Yes, 

you could also ask why would he issue a chargeback for the 100$ and not the 1000$ or 500$. 
I think he used multiple creditcards that aren't his. 

upwork refuses to reveal any information about him or the chargeback. 

@Ahmed Reda E wrote:

Yes, 

you could also ask why would he issue a chargeback for the 100$ and not the 1000$ or 500$. 
I think he used multiple creditcards that aren't his. 

upwork refuses to reveal any information about him or the chargeback. 

It seems unreasonable to me that Upwork doesn't involve the freelancer in the process of challenging the chargeback. Upwork claims that they fight chargebacks, but how can they be doing that as effectively as possible when they don't give the freelancer the opportunity to present their side of the story? It also seems contrary to natural justice that the freelancer is the one who has to foot the bill and yet has no opportunity to defend their own interests or even to receive information about the case.

Could a moderator please explain the thinking behind Upwork's policy on this?

P.S. I didn't pay attention to the point about the client using cards that were not his. In that case the chargeback is not about any alleged inadequacy of the freelancer's work, so I guess the freelancer has nothing to contribute to fighting the chargeback. Still, my impression from reading in the forum about other cases is that Upwork doesn't involve the freelancer even when the chargeback is based on a claim of inadequate work. Am I mistaken about that?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths