cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How long do clients usually take to pay?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
11 of 37

Hi Lewis,

I see you communicated with one client on Skype and delivered the work to another in Messages. You can ask these clients to award you their job, so they will be able to process the payment. Please note that this isn't the standard procedure, and you should definitely not do any work until you've been awarded the job, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab. 

If you go to Find Work > Proposals you will be able to check whether any of your proposals were accepted. Proposals you see in the "Active Candidacies" section have been accepted and the client would like to discuss the job further or have an interview with you, but that doesn't mean the job is awarded to you.

If your client needs further assistance, please ask them to contact our Customer Support team and we'll guide them through the process.

In order to learn how the platform works and how payments are processed on Upwork, please review these resources

before submitting new proposals.

Highlighted
Ringkhang B Member Since: Dec 24, 2016
12 of 37

I had recently done some assignments for a client. The agreement I was supposed to write certain number of contents per day and I delivered.  However, I couldn’t meet his deadline due to unfortunate circumstances in the last assignment but I submitted it. I understand that he was really frustrated. Later he just stopped any communication. I have written about six 500 word articles for him. It surely consumes lot of time and energy to write a good content. Getting unpaid makes things very difficult. All communications were done on Skype. Kindly suggest or clarify. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 37

@Ringkhang B wrote:

I had recently done some assignments for a client. The agreement I was supposed to write certain number of contents per day and I delivered.  However, I couldn’t meet his deadline due to unfortunate circumstances in the last assignment but I submitted it. I understand that he was really frustrated. Later he just stopped any communication. I have written about six 500 word articles for him.

•  Had the client hired you for those with a proper Upwork Contract?
  • When you look at your My Jobs page, do you see the contract there?
  • When you look at the contract on your My Jobs page, is it fully funded?
  • Did you submit the work via the "submit work / request payment" function?

If the answer is "Yes" to all the above, you get paid automatically 14 days after you clicked on the "submit work / request payment" button.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 37

Ringkhang:

You say that the client is incommunicado.

It is absolutely not necessary for my clients to communicate with me in order for me to get paid.

It is nice if they say thank you, and most clients do. But that has nothing to do with $$$.

When I do hourly contracts of fixed-price contracts, I always get paid, whether or not the clients communicate with me.

If you do not get paid, it is your fault, because you did something wrong with the way you used Upwork. Clients are not obligated to communicate with you or do anything in order for you to get paid.

Highlighted
15 of 37

Thankyou for your suggestion. The truth is that it’s really my fault. I am new to upwork and I really do not know how work is done here. Probably there is no way I will get paid.

Currently I am working for three clients, all the work is being submitted via Skype. I just hope that things turn out right this time. Like my previous case I don’t have an Upwork Contract.

Can you please suggest what to do?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 37

@Ringkhang B wrote:

Currently I am working for three clients, all the work is being submitted via Skype. I just hope that things turn out right this time. Like my previous case I don’t have an Upwork Contract.

STOP working until you have contracts with each of those clients. Not only can you not get paid this way even if the clients would want to pay you (unless it's outside of Upwork which will see you banned from this platform,) you are also in breach of the terms of service.

It is never all right to work without a contract, let alone hand over the work.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
17 of 37
This widget could not be displayed.

@Ringkhang B wrote:

Thankyou for your suggestion. The truth is that it’s really my fault. I am new to upwork and I really do not know how work is done here. Probably there is no way I will get paid.

I see that you already completed one fixed price project on Upwork in December and so you should know the payment processes on Upwork. The project was about writing several 500 word articles and obviously only one was delivered via an Upwork milestone. There are some clients on this platform who pay for the first work on Upwork and then try to inititate payment outside of Upwork. Other "clients" circumvent Upwork's processes from the beginning and will never pay.

Highlighted
18 of 37

I am new to upwork. As I have mentioned earlier all communication was done through skype. No proper Upwork Contract was done nor was work  submitted via the submit work but Skype. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 37

re: "No proper Upwork Contract was done nor was work  submitted via the submit work but Skype."

Ringkhang:

That's okay!

This just means that you are a newbie and you are learning through direct experience rather than by reading the instructions.

An important direct experience that newbies like this go through is called "working for free." That's what you have done.

Learn from your mistakes and don't do it again.

In theory, it is possible that the client you worked for was also a newbie and did not know how Upwork works. You don't really have anything to lose by telling her:

"Janice:

I'm sorry about this, but I guess I did not know how to us Upwork the right way. It turns out that we are supposed to have the client use the Hire button on their side to create an official contract offer, which I can then accept so that we can process payment. If you can find the Hire button on your side, next to my proposal, and use that, I would appreciate it."

Ringkhang:

It will not hurt you to send that message to the client.

In practice, most of the time this happens, the client knows what she is doing and she intentionally is tricking the newbie freelancer into working for free.

You may send one message like that to the client, but don't send more than one. It would be a waste of your time.

If she never pays you, then there is very good news: You may keep the work you did for yourself. It belongs to you if you don't get paid. You may use the work in your portfolio, or use it however you like.

Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 37

re: "Currently I am working for three clients, all the work is being submitted via Skype... Like my previous case I don’t have an Upwork Contract. Can you please suggest what to do?"

Stop doing any work for clients with whom you have no contract.

Send ONE single note (see above) apologizing for your mistake, offering to let them use the Hire button to officially hire you.

If they hire you officially, either with an hourly contract and they are payment-verified, or with a fixed-rate contract and a fully-funded milestone, then you may continue working for them. Otherwise, do not communicate with them any further. The only communications between you and them should be you asking them to hire you officially on Upwork, and them doing so.

If they never hire you, then you may report them to Customer Service. But keep in mind Customer Service will not help you get paid.